sea coast with sun setting
sea coast with sun setting
Original photo by Siti Ayeeshah Zaki

Semester Break Getaways: Singapore Islands

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nanyang Tech chapter.

Ah, semester break – a breather from the usual back-to-back extracurriculars and tired eyes toiling through assignments. You might at some point have decided: Hey! I need a break. (You probably should decide this at some point – mental health is really very important.)

Should you decide to take that break, only to realise that you’ve exhausted every possible hiking trail, bicycle park, or jogging path, why not go for an adventure to Singapore’s off-shore islands? Sure, it’s no airplane ride to an exotic island filled with extravagant cultures, but it is a part of Singapore that you might have yet to explore, discover, and learn about what Singapore was, is, and could possibly be. 

So gather some friends, hop on a boat, and let’s get started!

Pulau Ubin

Tired of mere theory? Singapore’s history can be found engraved in this little boomerang-shaped-island. Pulau Ubin, a fifteen minute boat ride from Changi Beach, is just off of the East of Singapore. The moment you step off the boat, it’s as if you’ve been transported back to Singapore’s sixties. What I find absolutely exciting about Pulau Ubin is that a handful of Singaporeans still live quietly in kampongs — houses in the spaces between untouched forests.

Pulau Ubin has a myriad of activities and sights to offer. You could head up to Chek Jawa, a rare area that houses up to six types of habitats for intertidal flora and fauna, drop by a fresh coconut stall, take a tour of a kampong-style house at Teck Seng’s Place, and so much more!

Sisters’ Islands

Unfortunately, COVID-19 has us stuck in Singapore, and our study-break daydreams of white sandy beaches and exotic fish can’t be fulfilled just yet. So if you ever feel like snorkeling or diving to see beautiful coral and fish, the Sisters’ Islands are a perfect spot for you. These off-shore islands in Singapore are home to Singapore’s first ever marine park where you can snorkel to your heart’s content, or discover its abundant marine life!

The name is derived from a captivating tale of two beautiful sisters, involving the death of their mother and an encounter with pirates (very dramatic, yes). Sisters’ Islands is actually made up of two islands – Big Sister’s Island and Small Sister’s Island. However, if you do choose to visit this gorgeous area, do note that Small Sister’s Island is currently being used for research purposes, and only Big Sister’s Island is open to the public.

St. John’s Island and Lazarus Island

Once a quarantine center and a home for those inflicted with beriberi, St John’s Island is now a go-to for many who crave a peaceful day at the beach. St John’s Island is connected to Lazarus Island via a causeway, which means that it only takes fifteen minutes to get from one island to the other!

Just like they do St John’s Island, many Singaporeans go to Lazarus Island for its beautiful and peaceful beaches.The islands are also often visited by nature-lovers. Singapore has a surprising biodiversity in its corals, reef fish, sponges, and more! One way many choose to appreciate Singapore’s marine life is by taking a walk around the rocky shores of St John’s and Lazarus Island during low tide. With beautiful waters, guided tours, and even bungalows and chalets, many go to these islands to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city, and for us students, our hectic school schedules.

Coney Island

While not exactly off-shore, this island is a must visit if you haven’t already!

Just a thirty minute cycle from Punggol MRT in the North-East of Singapore, Coney Island is a great addition to the gorgeous landscape that surrounds it, complementing Punggol Point Park and Lorong Halus Park Connector’s gorgeous views. Aside from the beautiful scenery, there are plenty of activities for you to do. Many choose Coney Island for a perfect evening cycle. You could also bird-watch, hang out on the beach, or take very aesthetic Instagram pictures! Filled with luscious greenery, untouched paths, and mangroves teeming with flora and fauna, Coney Island is certainly a must-visit, especially if you live in the Punggol area. 

Take a breather from your readings, go for a cycle, and experience the beauty right at your doorstep!

It doesn’t matter if you are a nature-lover, an outdoor enthusiast, or just a student who needs a break from the headache of assignments. Singapore’s treasured islands’ are bound to captivate you and help you relax from days of toiling within the city center.

Siti Ayeeshah Zaki

Nanyang Tech '21

Ayeeshah is an undergraduate at NTU. She enjoys writing, exploring, and learning new things. Check out her website and Instagram below! ✨