Multifunctional Items That Will Change the Game for Your Hall Life Forever

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nanyang Tech chapter.

New to Hall Life? Here are the 5 Multifunctional Items You’ll Need

It’s back-to-school season, which also means — time to move (back) to hall! 

While there’s no denying the advantages of hall life, such as the convenience and proximity to school, we can all agree that halls in NTU could be a little more comfortable.

It may be tempting to buy lots of nice things for this new space of yours, but it’s not always a good idea to bust your budget on a room you’re only going to temporarily live in. Being an international student and having stayed in four different hostels and three different apartments in the past seven years, I know very well how physically and financially taxing it is to move: too often did I find myself hauling some heavy, bulky object that I barely used, or having to dispose of it — only to buy another one later. I began to look out for lightweight and multifunctional items instead, which made my hall room a lot cosier but which were also a breeze to carry around.

So, here are some game-changing multifunctional items that I’ve tried and tested, which can really level up your hall life:

1. Multi-cookers with steamers

For the unofficial chef on the block, the electric multi cooker is probably one of the handiest ways to whip up a nice meal. 

As hall pantries aren’t always the most convenient place to cook – most just offer an induction hob and/or a microwave – having a portable, all-in-one appliance can vastly improve the efficiency of your cooking. The setup is fuss-free, and cooking time is generally short.

I highly recommend getting the type with a steam rack, because my culinary options really expanded when I got mine. Not only can you make noodles, oats, or simple steamboats with the boil function, you can also steam vegetables, eggs, and even fish! 

These multi-cookers come in a range of sizes and prices, but the travel-sized, one-pax types are usually between S$20 and S$50. You can find them online on sites such as Shopee, Lazada or Amazon, and they’re also available in many supermarkets, including the ones on campus.

2. Canvas storage boxes

Storage is key to consider for small spaces like hall rooms because it keeps things organized and helps you maintain a clean look for your place. However, plastic storage boxes can be pretty heavy, and a hassle to move around especially if you have several of them; they’re also prone to scratches. 

I really like canvas storage boxes because they are much lighter compared to plastic ones, and are also compressible so you can easily pack them up. Not to mention, they add a nice rustic touch to your room, and there are heaps of designs you can choose from to fit your aesthetic style.

These storage boxes are good for storing stationery, makeup, medication, clothes — basically virtually anything you can think of! There are many sizes to choose from and they are sturdy enough for almost anything, which makes them super versatile and multifunctional.

You can easily find these boxes in physical shops like Daiso and Japan Home, or online — just search “canvas storage boxes.”

3. Hanging organisers

To use the limited area of your room more economically, try utilising vertical spaces. 

For example, the hanging organiser is an excellent choice when it comes to keeping your knick-knacks neatly while taking up minimal space. This makes it much easier to find smaller items and helps reduce clutter.

You can get the canvas kind, which can be found online via Shopee or Lazada. These have small pockets for your various objects like keys and pens, or whatever you would usually carelessly throw around; some even have a pouch for tissue paper. 

Alternatively, you can consider memoboards, such as the SKÅDIS pegboard from IKEA, which allows you to customize the compartments. The grid can also act as a photo wall if you have some nice pictures or postcards that you want to put up.

4. Stools with storage

In case I forgot to mention… storage is key for small spaces. Why not get a stool which helps contain your clutter as well? 

You can tuck away the stool for when you have visitors, or even have it act as a small table.

These stools are readily available in many lifestyle shops. For more affordable ones, you can check out Miniso or buy them online. Personally, though, I prefer the IKEA one, which is slightly more expensive and heavier because it has a metal structure; but it is much stronger and more durable compared to the more affordable versions, making it a better investment.

5. Fairy lights

Yes, they’re a little “basic,” but things are “basic” for a reason. If you don’t like the harsh hall lighting, fairy lights provide soft warm illumination and instantly add a touch of glamour to your room. It’s great for creating a relaxed ambience for your space, especially after a long day when you want to wind down. And of course, it’s also the perfect backdrop for special occasions, if you are hosting a small gathering in hall.

Fairy lights are easy to find both online and in physical stores. Common places include IKEA, Typo, Klosh, Shopee and Amazon. 

Although hall stays are pretty short-term, there’s no reason why you shouldn’t add a little more flavour to your room. By choosing multifunctional items that yield maximum utility for the price, you can easily improve your hall life without burning a hole in your pocket. 

This can also apply to any living space besides hall. Making small changes to our surroundings can make a surprisingly big difference in our mood and well-being. Life can be stressful sometimes, so it’s important to take care of ourselves by creating a safe and comfortable environment around us.

Ruijia Huang

Nanyang Tech '23

A Psychology & Linguistics undergraduate who is a little obsessed with lifting and Chinese food.