Local bookstores to go to get your literary fix

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nanyang Tech chapter.

Looking for more book recommendations but don’t know where to start? We are familiar with local stationery/bookstore giant POPULAR – the place to get your assessment and text books before school starts. Kinokuniya and Times are also some other favourites among the wider reading audience in Singapore. Compared to these ‘chain’ bookstores, where book stocks are more commercialised because they usually bring in what’s popular, local bookstores are mostly more individualised and authors and titles are carefully selected to suit the store’s theme. Local bookstores also carry more local authors, both budding and established, and function as a platform and home for readers and authors to experiment with different genres in a comfortable and motivated environment. 

1. Littered With Books

This quaint bookstore situated along Duxton Road offers a range of carefully selected literary, non-fiction, crime, thrillers, sci-fi, fantasy, travel narratives, and award winning children’s books. In short, there’s a book for every reader. Situated in a 2-storey shophouse, visitors to the shop have mentioned that it gives off a familial, cosy atmosphere. True to its namesake, visitors are welcome with a plethora of books the moment they walk through the doors. 

Image credit:@litteredwithbooks, Instagram

Littered With Books is a book haven where you might possibly find your new favourite author at! 

Address

20 Duxton Rd, Singapore 089486

Nearest MRT

Outram 

Opening Hours

Mondays to Fridays: 12.00pm to 8.00pm

Saturdays and Sundays: 11.00am to 8.00pm

1. City Book Room (城市书房)

Situated in North Bridge Centre, this predominantly Chinese bookstore houses many titles ranging from fiction and poetry to history and social critiques. The bookstore also has English, Indonesian, and Bengali language books and prides itself  in its migrant literature book range. Their stunning website  contains all their selling book titles, an interactive 3D space for us behind the screen to get a feel of the store before visiting, and an event panel that gets updated whenever an event is on the way. 

Visitors have also said that the shopkeeper is very friendly and will give you good book recommendations!

Address

420 North Bridge Road

#03-10 North Bridge Centre

Singapore 188727

Nearest MRT 

Bugis

Opening hours

Mondays to Sundays: 12.00pm to 7.00pm

1. OpenTrolley Bookstore

Established in 2008, this local, online-only bookstore houses over 15 million book titles – the widest range in Singapore. With titles from over 400 categories, book buyers are spoilt for choice. Orders through their online store are usually fulfilled within seven working days. 

Fancy a nice day at home whilst doing your online book shopping? OpenTrolley Bookstore is your go-to. 

1. Wardah Books

Specialising in books for Muslim readers, Wardah Books holds titles ranging from arts to philosophy, Quranic studies to regional history, and fiction to children’s books. The bookshop takes an active role in reading promotion in the community and holds regular book clubs, reading sessions and author sessions. You can also purchase books from their website, but it’s hard to give their physical store – with its nostalgic interior – a miss. 

Image credit: @wardahbooks, Instagram

They currently have a weekly event, the “Silent Online Book Club”, taking place every Sunday from 8.00am to 9.00am. More information on their events can be found here

Address

58 Bussorah Street, 199474

Nearest MRT

Bugis

Opening hours

Mondays to Sundays: 10.00am to 7.00pm

Fridays and Saturdays till 9.00pm

1. Woods in the Books

This independent bookshop in Singapore with a specialty in picture books and other illustrated books is a must-visit for the young at heart. Tucked in Tiong Bahru’s hipster neighbourhood, Woods in the Books offers a nice getaway from the hustle-and-bustle outside.

The store offers their very own wide array of books by local authors and illustrators in their Homegrown Stories collection. Apart from books, the store also sells tote bags, activity books and kits, greeting cards, and art prints!  

Head down to Woods in the Books for a literary experience like no other.

Address

3 Yong Siak Street

Singapore 168642

Nearest MRT

Tiong Bahru

Opening hours

Sundays, Mondays & Public Holidays: 10.00AM – 6.00PM

Wednesdays – Saturdays: 10.00AM – 7.00PM

Closed on Tuesdays

Starkly different from chain bookstores, these local, independent bookstores offer interesting, unique titles and events that are open to the public. They form the backbone of Singapore’s literary community, providing a platform and meeting ground for local authors to congregate and for readers to discover new gems to add to their library.

Gabrielle Chua

Nanyang Tech '24

With a stash of Roald Dahl novels in her possession from childhood, Gabrielle seldom has a tight grip on reality. In her spare time, she enjoys printmaking and writing for her local animal shelter.