Dear Class of 2022, This is How We Graduate in a Pandemic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nanyang Tech chapter.

Karen Lopez writes that “ the pandemic has left students in a state of limbo and has heightened their financial anxieties, physical and emotional health concerns, graduation disappointment, career uncertainty, and negative academic impact.” I cannot imagine what it must be like to experience a virtual graduation ceremony like Lopez’s, but she reminds us that we need not let such moments define our university experience in its entirety. In my final article on Her Campus, I share about my mixed feelings of graduating in a pandemic.

Seeking Closure

I will never forget pining over the exchange programme so badly in year two, and taking a really long time to overcome this fear of missing out. We probably often hear of how university is the best time of our lives, and that the student exchange will be one of the biggest highlights of our university career. With COVID-19, students have had to deal with virtual classes and minimised social activities, and the suspension of these meaningful overseas programmes until recently. 

Like many of my peers, I grieved over such ‘lost’ opportunities and summers that could have been. It was difficult, having to cope with the Circuit Breaker and Phase 2 (Heightened Alert), much less finding internships. This article even highlights how the pandemic has made internships hypercompetitive for students, which results in increased possibilities of social comparison and burnout. Admittedly, I tend to feel anxious because I haven’t had the opportunity to experience an internship, but I am also proud to have focused on my URECA project and kickstarted my small business last summer.

Across the past four years, I have learnt to accept reality for what it is, and to make the most out of the present. Your journey doesn’t have to look like anyone else’s. I suggest that you let go of the idea of what-ifs, and take some time to reflect on the good and bad memories. For me, seeking closure means releasing the initial expectations of what my university life was supposed to look like.

Moving forward

So, what’s next? If you’ve yet to land your first job, you’re not alone — neither have I. To assuage some of my fears, I decided to seek advice from Zinc Tan, the 2021 Senior Editor of Her Campus Nanyang Tech. 

Here are some tips by Zinc on how to prepare for a full-time job:

1. Find a compatible job. This means seeking alignment with the job scope and work environment. You should also make good use of your interview opportunity to bring up such concerns.
  2. Do not get caught up over the need to feel accepted into the role. Look for a job that you truly want, and do not take up a job just for the sake of it.
  3. Keep an open mindset and be friendly to everyone you meet along the way. You never know who you might be working with and such connections might be helpful, albeit not necessarily having a direct impact on your job. Besides, it is always comforting to have a friend by your side.

While Zinc wishes that she had prepared more for her first job — in terms of setting work boundaries, and giving and asking for feedback, she came across as self-assured and confident. I am sure that her ability to learn and adapt is what makes her successful today.

Zinc remembers struggling with working from home in her first full-time job. Graduating in 2021, she wasn’t able to physically turn to her colleagues for help. Moreover, she was introduced to a new role in the company and she felt that there was a misalignment of values. In her next job, she made sure to communicate that she was looking for growth and that she needed a mentor to guide her well to achieve her goal. With steps put in place, Zinc saw herself flourishing in a supportive environment that encouraged her professional development. Listening to her made me realise how important it is to be honest — to yourself and your employers — in the process of job hunting. By staying true to yourself and others, you will find a job that you’re at least happy with, even if it’s not perfect.

According to Zinc, being in a nurturing workplace with good bosses and managers motivates her to contribute even more. “Expand your mindset and know that things are always changing. Try your best at everything you do and while you might not see it now, you will eventually end up on the path that’s meant for you. Always be open to opportunities that come your way.”

Finally, she shares about how to achieve work-life balance:

1. Adjust your settings so that you don’t receive work notifications past work hours. You might even want to keep the respective applications off your phone. 
  2. If you still need to be available after work hours, remember to take some time completely off work. Be it in the mornings or evenings, block out specific timings on your calendar. Take walks, go to the gym, enjoy uninterrupted meals, and allocate weekly dinner dates with your close ones or even yourself.
  3. Communicate with your colleagues and managers. Let them know if they are crossing your boundaries and be firm. This may look like, “I can respond to you in *this time* since it’s after work hours. If it’s urgent, please look for someone else.” Never ghost your coworkers.

If you’re feeling anxious about job hunting, it is definitely helpful to hear from seniors who have graduated and are already working.

The school has also prepared a huge range of student resources that you can access here. If you’re a graduate looking for a job, this publication by CAO will be especially useful. You can still book an appointment with a career coach — they work closely with students to address specific concerns, and have also hosted relevant career workshops. It is also at this point that I am reminded of Angeline (the career coach for NTU CoHASS) and her wise words, “The job search is like a marathon, not a sprint.”  Although I’m still unsure of the road ahead, I have deep faith that I will bring value to whatever job I land myself in and that everything will fall into place.

Finally, a big congratulations to the class of 2022! The past four years must not have been easy, shifting through the pre-covid and covid phases, but you made it through nevertheless. Take heart and never compromise!

Cherrell Ng

Nanyang Tech '22

Dreamer, girl boss, community builder & first time human. Check out my socials @squidddooo !