COVID-19: 5 Tips to be Productive in Isolation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nanyang Tech chapter.

Being stuck at home during COVID-19 season can really be a bore, particularly when we don’t have the option to do otherwise. With our regular go-to places like the library, Starbucks and cafés closed, an abrupt change of lifestyle has inevitably taken place for most, posing a new taunting challenge for those hoping to stay productive at home. The sense of boredom hits harder especially when you have no urgent agenda to complete, with all the spare time thrown in your hands. 

So, how can we make do with this sudden turn of events, to still remain productive? Trust me, coming back home from abroad to serve an immediate 14-day Stay Home Notice, I was initially in that situation of being stuck with how to maximise my time effectively. After sorting out my thoughts and doing some research online, I’ve come up with a routine that I have religiously followed for the past 3 weeks. Indeed, not only did I manage to complete my assignments on my end, I have managed to start on new things I always wanted to do, like coding!

To my pals out there, here’s my 5-step plan to achieve the best version of yourself. Remember, it is never easy starting, but once you put your mind to it, everything else will flow!

Step 1 : Turn your domestic space into a conducive working corner

work space
Domenico Loia

One major roadblock to productivity at home is none other than distractions – your bed, the fridge, or anything else that keeps your mind away from your work. We tend to say: “My house is so unconducive to do work, my table is so messy, my bed is beside my desk. I can’t focus properly without wanting to laze on it!”, but in actual fact, any space can be transformed to a conducive one with some physical adjustments. 

Position your working space nearest to the window or a bright light source to receive as much sunlight as possible – the lighting will energise you to stay awake and focus.

Also, this may sound cliché, but decluttering the mess before starting on your work helps you feel less constricted as well! If you have and want to, putting on some home scent (such as fresheners or room candles) will add a reviving touch to your working space!

Step 2 : Plan out a weekly or monthly routine

It’s time to start and get things done! List down 3-4 activities that you need to accomplish or want to get started with and spread out into a weekly or monthly timetable. An example of a schedule can look like this:

planner
STIL

Make sure you space out the activities by giving enough time out-breaks in between each of them to catch a breath and relax ~ The planning process takes awhile, but once you’re finished with this stage, what’s left is for you to stick to your plan and keep track of your work. Everything will eventually flow. :)

Step 3 : Maintain a healthy lifestyle

exercise
Jonathan Borba

In all that you do, health comes before productivity so it is an utmost priority to stay healthy during this time.Your body will do the rest of the job for you! Here are the main important ways in maintaining a healthy system:

1. Having a regular sleep cycle of at least 7-8 hours a night, by sleeping and waking up early. This will boost your morale and energy!

2. Exercising regularly in adequate amounts. Find a workout routine that suits your body best and make time to exercise as well. Some great workout channels you can follow (for all levels) include: Pamela Reif’s workout channel and Chloe Ting’s workout program! A good exercise routine that would be working out at least 3 times a week, but it is important not to over-exercise your body as well! You wouldn’t want your body to be too lethargic for the rest of the day. Some light stretching before you sleep helps to relax the body muscles as well. :) 

3. Eating healthily and moderately! I like to go for a glass of lemon or citrus-infused water in the morning to clear my system and start refreshed, but if not, plain water will do just fine. :) 

Step 4 : Don’t be too hard on yourself if you can’t handle everything at one go

wellness
Roberto Nickson

If you are feeling too pressured to finish everything all at once, take a step back and re-evaluate your schedule. Remember, productivity is not a competition to complete as many tasks as possible, but it is a journey to attain personal growth one step at a time. Think of productivity as a long marathon;  progress shouldn’t be attained by simply a burst of energy, but in constant amounts of effort that help you reach your goal in the long term. 

As such, it is important to know your physical limitations and be flexible with your schedule when needed as well. Put priority on activities with urgent deadlines but at the same time, call it a day when you know you have done the best you can. :)

Step 5 : Keep a diary or write your reflections or emotions down

diary
Amy Tran

While this may be the last step, it can be the most important as well. With the constant influx of alarming news and the feeling of confinement/isolation, these overwhelming factors can weigh heavily on one’s morale and mental health. Having a platform to pen down your reflections allows you to identify fears and concerns, and think of ways to better manage them. It also allows you to recognise moments of joy that you might miss out in memory.

If you don’t have a physical diary to pen things down, there are creative alternatives such as creating an “Isolation PowerPoint” where you update your emotions on a PowerPoint slide every day, or having a personal blog to write whenever possible. In cases of time constraint, a decent diary tracking would be once every week, as the memories are still kept fresh while you jot them down.

And that’s all everyone! Hopefully with this list, we are better able to overcome challenges to be productive, and grow into the best versions of ourselves at the end of this trying period. Stay safe, stay healthy, and take care!

Natalie Oh

Nanyang Tech '21

Hi there! I'm Natalie, an undergraduate student studying English at Nanyang Tech, on the sunny island of Singapore! My hobbies are writing, reading and playing the piano :)
Kelsie Tan

Nanyang Tech '21

Kelsie is the Founder of Her Campus @ Nanyang Tech, the first HC Chapter in sunny Singapore! She is currently a fourth-year English major who loves writing about wellness and ways to cultivate mindfulness in the modern individual. When she isn't writing or editing, Kelsie enjoys sipping a good cup of Hojicha, and watching the world go by.