Roof top garden
Roof top garden
Original photo by Vedika Sharma
Life > Experiences

Best Study Spots in NTU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nanyang Tech chapter.

As midterm season approaches and tests are lined up ahead, it is time for us to buckle down and start studying. If you’re looking for some study spots for an uninterrupted and productive study session, here is a list of places in NTU that you can check out over the next few weeks! 

1. NIE library 

The NIE library is  tucked away near the outskirts of the campus and you will have to walk all the way in just to find it. However, due to its rather secluded location, it means that each level and study area is not overcrowded with students trying to cram in last minute revisions. On the fourth level, you will find high ceilings, spaced out desks, chargers and comfortable seats. As you face the large glass windows you are greeted by luscious greenery, giving you a sense of tranquillity. The peacefulness is immaculate and you are sure to be productive. Additionally there is printing service on the fourth level. So if you are in need of emergency printing, this is a convenient place for you. On the other hand, the second level is more suited for discussions as the tables are formatted to accommodate 4 to 6 people. Thus if you need some background noise to focus, you can head over there instead. The best part about the NIE library for me is when you study from the afternoon to when the sun sets. The view is absolutely amazing and it is a warm welcome to the end of a long productive day. 

2. Global Lounge 

The Global Lounge is located at Northspine right at the entrance from the overhead bridge above the bus stop. While it isn’t the quietest place to study, the round tables and sofa-like seats are nice for discussions and when you need companionship to study. Additionally, it is near food outlets. So when dusk starts approaching and your brain is weary from the constant studying, a supper break is just around the corner. However, they have limited seats and it can be noisy at times, so be sure to either chope a seat early or have your noise-cancelling earpiece ready! 

3. Connect71 

Connect71 is a relatively new place that opened up late last year. It is a cafe tucked away near the Arc which is located at the NTU Innovation Centre. It is a cafe that boasts chill vibes with its soft music and minimalistic appearance. The best spot is the high-chairs at the corner of the cafe that looks out onto greenery and the adjacent buildings. It also has charging pods near the seats. Most importantly when you are hungry and need something to snack on, you can just purchase it a few steps away. They have a nice selection of cakes and coffees, so if you have a sweet tooth it is definitely worth a try! However, they do have limited seats, so it is best to come during the early afternoon. If there are no seats, you can enter the foyer area of the NTU Innovation Centre, which has some benches. Unfortunately the charging pods are not nearby and it can be quite inconvenient. While not the most comfortable, it is an area that does not see much traffic, and so it is perfect for a quiet studying session. 

4. SAC 

The SAC is located in Northspine near the landmark spiral staircase. When you enter, you will be immediately hit by a blast of cold air accompanied with an  almost library-like silence. It is thus perfect for a productive study session. It also has tables for up to four people which is great for group discussions. So do check it out with your teammates if you’re rushing a group assignment!

5. SoH undergraduate office

The office is located just by the entrance of SHHK. It is furnished with round tables and comfortable chairs. If you are looking for a location for a study session with your friends, this would be it! It is also the spot you would want to take should you want some socialisation, because anyone walking past the office would see you through its glass walls, and it’s common for friends to drop by just to say a hello! If you have had an intense mugging week, perhaps this is the location for you to relax a little while still getting some work done. It also has charging pods near the seats. Unfortunately, this is only available for SoH and SSS students, though there are no stringent checks on this. Also, a reminder that the office closes at around 6pm, so if you leave your belongings inside, the office would be locked and you would have to call Campus Security. 

I hope this mini-guide to some of my favourite study spots will help you out in your studying this season! Cheers and good luck! 

Emmy Kwan

Nanyang Tech '25

The embodiment of a "material gworl" but with no money, if she isn't complaining about capitalism, the economy or the patriarchy, you can find Emmy in the aisles of a clothing store, ironically selling her soul to the corporations she often critiques.