Style > Beauty

5 Tried-And-True Glosses You Can Rock Without a Mask (+Matte, Budgeproof Options)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nanyang Tech chapter.

ICYMI: PM Lee announced last Thursday that masks are now optional when you’re outdoors (from Tuesday, 29 March). If you’re a gloss person like me, you’ve been waiting for this day for ages (okay, fine, two years). As a self-professed lipstick/lip gloss connaisseur, I’ve tried — and loved — more products than I can count over the years. These are the ones that I missed wearing the most, plus the best matte, mask-proof options for people who don’t plan to soak up the sun anytime soon. Understandably.

Read on for the pros and cons and retail sites of each.

Glosses

Iro Beauty’s glosses (from $1.99)

If you’re on TikTokSG, chances are, you’ve seen this small business on your feed. Made incredibly pocket-friendly, Iro Beauty offers everything from lip glosses, scrubs and body oils to face masks and lash serums. My pick? The Sticky Toffee LipGloss ($4.99), a clear option that smells exactly like the candy it’s named after. While it isn’t as blindingly reflective as Fenty Beauty’s, it does give you a non-sticky, milder sheen that hydrates at the same time. If you’re looking for a hint of colour, Iro Beauty offers pigmented ones such as Boss Babe ($6.99), a cherry-hued gloss and Red Velvet Cake LipGloss ($5.99), a medium pink one. 

Shop here.

Rom&nd’s Juicy Lasting Tints (from $8.80)

This is one that actually deserves the hype — I have zero qualms about their Juicy Lasting Tint. Here’s why: it’s a gel-like formula that applies thinly at first, giving you a slight hint of colour, but it’s also endlessly layerable, non-drying and stays decently. The finish is semi-glossy, but you can definitely blot it if you like a matte lip. While the Bare Juicy Lasting Tint in Pomelo Skin (#22), a warm pinky-beige, is the popular pick, I love Dark Coconut, a vampy red-brown when layered and a sheer red when blotted.

Available here.

Colourpop’s LUX Lip Oils (from $10.86)

It wouldn’t be a budget section without a mention of Colourpop. The brand offers lipsticks, stains and glosses, but I’m partial to their LUX Lip Oil ($10.86) in Hot Shot. In the tube it’s the perfect peachy-brown gloss that everyone is coveting right now, though this doesn’t translate to the lips. On the lips it’s more of a translucent peach — perfect for when you don’t want to look “too much”. Still, this one takes the win with the flexible, wide wand and the lightweight, gel-like finish. These are sold at discounted prices frequently (I got mine at about $5), so grab them if you see them on sale!

If a highly pigmented shiny lip is more your beat, the Fresh Kiss Glossy Lip Stain ($10.86) is probably the one for you.

Retails on Colourpop.

Maybelline’s Lifter Glosses ($15.90)

Famous for being a dupe of the Fenty Beauty Gloss Bomb, Maybelline’s Lifter Gloss takes the cake in terms of shade range. It has the same plush wand that Fenty’s is famous for, and the thicker texture gives a very similar shine. While this is definitely a must-have if you don’t want to splurge on Fenty Beauty’s, the formula seems to be harsher, so if you have sensitive lips or are recovering from an allergy, sit this one out.

Get yours on Shopee.

Rare Beauty’s Stay Vulnerable Glossy Lip Balm ($30)

Not to be dramatic but Rare Beauty’s Stay Vulnerable Glossy Lip Balm has been nothing short of a miracle for me. The shade Nearly Neutral is the perfect warm brown that suits the yellow-y tones that Asians often have, and the formula, while thicker than others, isn’t uncomfortable, sticky or annoying at all. I’m not sure what ingredients are in this one, but it cured my lip allergy from a lip stain (no thanks to PeriPera) and is probably your best bet if you have dry, sensitive lips. Definitely worth the heftier price tag.

Shop here.

Budge-proof options

3CE Velvet Lip Tint ($13.90)

Compared to the famous PeriPera ink tint, this one’s very slightly thicker but still has the same smoothing, mousse-y texture that guarantees that filter-like blurring effect. It lasts decently and most importantly fades evenly even after eating and hours of mask-wearing. 3CE is also a Korean cosmetic brand, which pretty much ensures a shade range that flatters Asian skin tones. I got Going Right, a rosy peach that would probably suit lighter to medium skin tones. For deeper skin tones I suggest Daffodil or Taupe, Going Right’s deeper, redder counterparts.

Retails here.

KVD Vegan Everlasting Liquid Lipsticks (from $17)

I’ve never been one for liquid lipsticks but this is a winner. The non-drying formula is transfer-proof, stays put and when it does fade, also fades evenly. I own the small, travel-sized tube in Lolita II (a warm pink), and it has lasted more than three to four months with frequent wear.

Available here.

MAC Cosmetics’ Matte Lipsticks ($33)

MAC’s matte lipsticks are a classic option that would never fail you. It does have a tendency to dry your lips if you already have dry lips, but the staying power and comfort of these are close to unbeatable for me. Plus, they make great neutrals, with Taupe (best described on me as 50% pink and 50% brown) being my favourite. Whirl and Velvet Teddy are great choices for nudes too, and they have a mini version ($22) if you want to give it a try first.

Shop here.

Nicole Ng

Nanyang Tech '24

The real-life Emily Charlton from The Devil Wears Prada. Reach her at nicolengxinen@gmail.com.