4 Gifts For The Overdue Traveller [+Xmas Giveaway!]

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nanyang Tech chapter.

Just in time for Christmas, the causeway between Malaysia and Singapore will once again be roaring with the sound of cars, motorcycles and buses. Our neighbour is the latest addition to Singapore’s active Vaccinated Travel Lanes (VTL) countries, and joins the United States, Thailand, Cambodia, Fiji and France; just to name a few. 

Thinking of getting a gift to celebrate? Look no further as HCNTU brings our top budget-friendly travel gifts for you or your loved ones this year!

Personalised Travel Kit from TheImprint.sg (Giveaway item!)

While travel lanes may now be open, tourists will need to provide various documents to prove that they have been vaccinated, and have taken the relevant COVID-19 tests just to visit places of interest. What better way to keep everything in order than with a personalized travel kit from The Imprint.SG?

Located at Funan Mall #02-K08, Imprint.SG specialises in personalised gifts of every kind, and allows for on the spot personalisation if you’re willing to wait for a short while. All products also come in a gift box inclusive of a gift card

Notably, the brand’s travel set consists of a sleek passport cover and luggage tag embossed with your wording of choice, so you can make the airport your come-back stage for your next flight out. The passport cover comes with multiple pockets and dividers so you’ll always know where your documents are, and even comes with a pen holder for anything you need signed or noted down. 

According to Imprint.sg, no animals were harmed during the making of these products. While they may look like leather, the company claims to use microfiber technology to mimic the look, feel and durability of real leather. So you can be assured that your documents will remain safe in whatever weather you travel to.

HCNTU CONTEST POST

Want to get it for free? Head down to our Instagram account (@hcnanyangtech) to stand a chance to win a personalised travel set and a notebook from them! 

Film cameras

As much as we all love Singapore’s iconic HBD skyline and golden hour sunsets, the opening of the VTL travel lanes make us crave a change of scenery. No doubt, a three-day journey away from home will do little to cure two years’ worth of wanderlust, so it’s even more important that we maximise the time we have overseas.

Local online stores such as Filmm.io and Duopixlco are just some of the brands carrying your answer— film cameras. The two carry a wide range of pre-loved cameras such as the Canon Sure Shot 65 Zoom Date ($80) and Fuji Zoom Cardia ($72), which comes with a top quality zoom lens, self timer and built-in flash that you can turn off manually. Although this is on the higher end of our gifting budget, Filmm.io has a 10% discount for students and NSFs, and it’s well worth the money to capture your special moments through a different lens.

Though these cameras may be pre-loved and have minor cosmetic wear- and- tear, their internal mechanisms still work well. Additionally, since your pictures will not be digitally available for review once taken, developing them after your trip will definitely be a surprise worth waiting for. 

To purchase, you may wish to send a DM to the brands for more information. With the ongoing COVID-19 situation, both Filmm.io and DuoPixlo recommend making use of the contact-free Singpost to receive your camera. 

5-Port Charging Station 

On a holiday, having a good charging station is almost as crucial as your passport. Minimally, it should allow you to charge multiple devices from a single point of electricity without starting a minor electrical fire or damaging your devices, and yet be compact enough to put in a carry-on or luggage for easy access. The AUKEY 5-Port Charging Station does exactly that. 

The brand boasts powerful and convenient 63W of power charging for a USB-C laptop and four other USB-powered devices together. The new USB Power Delivery wire will also allow you to fast charge an IPhone 11 / 11 Pro up to 50% in just half an hour, or a Type C laptop at full speed. Safe and reliable, Advanced circuitry with built-in safeguards protects your devices against excessive current, overheating, and overcharging.

The Aukey 5 Port Charging station is available on aukey.sg, and their affiliated online stores.

2022 Travel Journal

Nothing beats penning down your travel memories sitting by the window of your hotel or Airbnb, as you look off into the distance of your romantic holiday life. Make sure your notebook that you’re writing in matches your look. 

With beautiful illustrations, thoughtfully curated quotes and strategically placed areas for note taking, pictures and doodles, make your travel journal a part of your everyday life even after you get back.

The new year looks like there’s travel and exploration on the horizon, what are you bringing with you on your next trip? 

Audrey Leong

Nanyang Tech '22

As the usual 'short person' of the group, Audrey has always been interested in growth. She's spent the most of her life picking up skills such as marketing, graphic design and copywriting, focusing her efforts on how she can help companies that she works with, grow. When she's not watching videos of cats, you can find this English major trying to crack the latest algorithm change on Instagram.