Why You Shouldn’t be Afraid to go to Concerts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mville chapter.

By Julianna Ross 

Growing up, I have always gravitated towards music. I love listening to music and discovering new artists that peak my interest. As I become emotionally attached to these songs and artists I can’t help but want to experience that music live. I have been to countless concerts, shows, and music festivals, both indoors and out, with so many of my friends and family members. I have created some of my most memorable experiences at these events. The ultimate reason for going to a concert is to have the time of your life and to experience the music that has been on constant replay on your iPod since the moment it was released. It’s a time to forget about everything that stresses you out and allows you to just focus on the music. There is nothing  like experiencing the connection between an artist and their audience live.

Tragedy struck this past October 1st when innocent concertgoers were the target of an awful attack by a man who opened fire on a concert crowd. This man killed 58 people while leaving 546 people injured and countless families devastated. As awful as this tragedy was, these mass shootings and terrorist attacks have unfortunately become a routine occurrence. It is almost as if we as a society have become numb to tragic headlines such as this.

Now, more than ever, we need something to unite us and make us feel like we can relate to one another, and what better way to do that than at a concert or festival? Since the Las Vegas shooting, I have been to one outdoor festival and two concerts. I am here to tell you that even though this terrible shooting occurred, you shouldn’t be afraid to attend concerts and live your life as you normally would. At every concert I have been to since the attack, the security has been extremely tight. Thorough bag checks have taken place and what you are allowed to bring into the venue has been significantly limited. I have also gone through metal detectors and have undergone other forms of security checks that ensure everyone going into the venue is safe. While it is unfortunate that these great lengths of precautions must be taken, it definitely has made me feel very secure while attending these shows. The ultimate response, as a society that we do to combat terror is to move forward and not allow these senseless tragedies stop us from going about our everyday lives. We should not allow attacks such as this to stop us from supporting the artists and musicians that we love to listen to each and every day. Music is here to unite us. Take the One Love Manchester benefit concert for example. Without people responding to the Manchester tragedy and coming together for the benefit concert to show their support, thirteen million dollars would not have been raised to help the victims and their families.

While it may seem scary at times, it is important that you do not stop your living your life because of these types of tragedies. If you want to go to a concert, go to that concert. If you want to go to a festival, go to that festival. Be safe and be mindful but go and create an unbelievable experience for yourself, family, and friends. There is no better atmosphere than the excitement that is felt at a concert and everyone should experience that feeling at least once in their lifetime.

Student at Manhattanville College, right outside of New York City! Editor at the Mville chapter I am majoring in Marketing and Communications with a minor in Sociology, and look forward to working either in the music business, or at a non-profit organization! I am an advocate for those who suffer from mental illness, such as anxiety, suicidal thoughts, depression, and self harm. I'm a crafter, dreamer, and traveler. I believe everyone has a story that's just waiting to be told..