woman taking pictures near handrail
woman taking pictures near handrail
Tamara Bellis/Unsplash

What Celebrity News Should be Private or Public?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mville chapter.

Lately, celebrity news is all over the place. Between Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter and many more media outlets, we hear everything from major celebrity couples splitting up to celebrities expecting (yes, Kylie Jenner definitely took over the media with that one).

Sometimes, it really is interesting. Some of the news makes for good conversation among friends and even at family events. Although, sometimes I wonder (and I’m sure others do too) when it comes to celebrities, what should be public and what should be private?

When you think about it, today we share way more than people would maybe ten years ago. We have become very public about everything now, things are shared through a post, a photo, or even a tweet. This is very big among celebrities because now they tend to share everything with the public. From pregnancies, engagements, drama, and even the smallest things such as saying what they are having for lunch that day, their fans know about it. Sometimes celebrities overshare and sometimes they are private.

There’s not a right or wrong answer to this, everyone is entitled to share whatever they want. While on the flipside, everyone is entitled to keep things private too. I personally believe that there is such a thing as oversharing but at the same time I think people can share whatever they like to. So, the question for you is, what celebrity news should be private or public?

Rebecca Bodtmann  Manhattanville College '19