clay banks zUf39GDNyzU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
clay banks zUf39GDNyzU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Senior Stories: Kimberly Garrick

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mville chapter.

Manhattanville has many leadership roles avaliable on campus. From being a Resident Advisor to a leader of a club, there are many options. Kimberly Garrick is a student who has proven that you can do it all. Kim is from Cortlandt Manor, New York and is a Communications and Media Studies major with a minor in Music and Management. On top of focusing on her area of study, she is highly involved on campus. She’s a part of the Office of Residence Life, Office of Undergraduate Admissions, Minds in Motion, International Student Organization (freshman to sophomore year), MVL Radio (freshman to sophomore year), and Office of Alumni Relations (sophomore year). Now during her final year, it’s time to acknowledge Kim and her accomplishments.

Every student comes to Manhattanville for various reasons and sometimes it takes coming onto campus to realize where you belong. “I came here as a senior in high school for the Board of Trustees weekend and attending the International Bazaar really made me realize that I could fit in here, but also learn and grow as a person from being surrounded by so many cultures.” she said. During her time at Mville, Kim said the best class she’s taken is The American Dream and her favorite professor is Professor D’Addario. However, she does have something she’ll miss. “I’m definitely going to miss just living down the hall or even a building away from my friends.” She added.

Over her last 4 years here, she’s accomplished a lot from internshps to attending big events. A lot of this wouldn’t of been possible without the help of the Center for Career Development here on campus that helps with internships, resumes, and all things career related. “With the help of Lyn Leis, I’ve had 4 entertainment industry internships: ‘Stache Media, VH1/Logo, Nickelodeon & NBC Universal. I’ve also had the opportunity to go to the MTV Awards and represent Her Campus with our Campus Correspondent, Shanice Peters.” she said.

Now that graduation is only 15 days away, it’s time to start thinking about what’s ahead. “My plans right now are to move back home and continue to apply for jobs. In the mean time, I’m going to take this time to relax. I really haven’t had a break in four years, so I will use this time to mentally debrief so I’m ready for when a job opportunity comes my way.” She added. She’s not alone in this. Many students are taking time off to relax after a very intense and active 4 years of college.

So where does Kim see herself 10 years from now? “In 10 years, I see myself working for a company in the entertainment industry. Whether it is in music or working with live events and television productions. Maybe, I’ll be married? I really don’t know, but I’m really excited for what is to come!” She said.

Every underclassman can learn from an upperclassman especially those who are now graduating. So what are some words of advice Kim has for students? “College is what you make it. Every college has their strengths and weaknesses. It is your choice if you decide to either surround yourself with the positives or get swallowed up by the weaknesses and stay stagnant. Go out and join every club. Figure out what you enjoy and what you don’t and don’t let 4 years go by without you finding one thing to take away from.” She said very wisely.

Kim no doubt has a bright furture ahead of her with many amazing opportunities to come. Her final words? “You are here for a reason, figure it out.” 

Shanice Peters is a Senior at Manhattanville College. She is from Brooklyn, NY. She's a Creative Writing major with a minor in Marketing and Communications. In her free time she enjoys making YouTube videos about fashion and beauty, writing on her personal blog and watching Gossip Girl. She's excited to be the Campus Correspondent for Manhattanville and hopes to engage students in her last year.