Senior Stories: Genna Gizzo From Ice to Education

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mville chapter.

When it comes to finding your career path, it can take some people their entire lives to find the right fit. For some, it comes easily and can stem from something else they’re passionate about in life. For Genna Gizzo, this is the case. Genna is majoring in Education and English with a concentration in Creative Writing. While she does dorm at Manhattanville, she is actually close in the area and resides in Harrison, New York. Which leaves her close to family. “I have a huge family. I always remember around holidays and stuff getting together with family. That has always been a huge part of my life.” She said happily.

Hobbies are a big part of what can make up a person. For Genna, ice skating is that hobby. “I started ice skating when I was 6 or 7. It opened up a whole other part to my identity.” She expressed passionately.  “I could really express myself in this other way besides being in school.” Ice skating is not easy and it takes a lot of practice. “I went to skate lessons and I did the figure skating club they had.” She explained. “I can’t do triple axels or anything like that!” We both shared a laugh and compared being able to do such tricks to the Walt Disney movie Ice Princess. “I really found a love for that and I met my best friend through that program.” She added.

The sport did in fact teach her something important “Being determined just through that can help you in other ways too.” She expressed. “Being courageous and persevering like how to come out of a spin the right way teaches a lot.” Genna also added that she carries all these traits with her throughout her life and applies it to other areas such as school.

The education major is very popular here at Manhattanville and one that many students find exciting yet challenging. Genna’s love for ice skating was what led her into this choice of study. “I picked education because after I got into ice skating I thought ‘I can teach other kids how to do this’ and teach other basic skills.” She also added that she works at two different rinks. While to us it may seem hard to find the connection between ice skating and wanting to be a teacher, Genna proved that it can connect. “Yeah, being in a classroom and teaching kids math and science and whatever else is much different from learning how to get off the ice by yourself. They’re two different things, but still the philosophy behind it is teaching kids how to develop more interest in a hobby. You can take those basic skills and take them into the class room.” Hobbies do matter and can help us as people find our passion. “I want to help kids find that too.” She added.

As for her career, Genna hopes to work at a school. “I hope to have my own classroom one day and although I don’t know what grade yet, I’m just focusing on what’s in front of me.” She said. “I’m going with the flow and seeing where life takes me.” She also added that while this is her goal, she would love to still teach kids how to ice skate even if it’s not her real job.

Manhattanville keeps changing the lives of students and it shows from the amazing faculty, the beautiful campus and many programs they offer. “I picked Manhattanville because of the proximity from my actual home.” She said. “I could commute, but I really just wanted that feeling of independece and being away from home and just getting that whole different experience.” Many students can relate to this since some are local and choose to dorm for the experience of being on their own. “It allowed me to become my own person.” She added. “I did it for myself.”

As for lessons learned while attending Manhattanville, “It has helped me find some strengths that I didn’t think I had before.” She said. “It has helped me see how time management was and balancing different hobbies.” Genna furthered explained that being on campus and having the whole college experience has helped her develop as a person.

For the last question, Genna had to reflect on what she would miss about Manhattanville. This was an emotional moment. “I didn’t think four years ago I would get emotional about this question.” She said, getting tearful. “Just the whole college experience I think I’m going to miss. Going to class, having a schedule and being able to hang out with your friends whenever you want. After that, you have other adult responsibilites.” She’s focusing on completing everyting to graduate, but she is also taking it in that this is it. Her time has come to walk across the stage. 

If you ever come across Genna while somewhere on campus, be sure to say hello and strike up a conversation. Not only will you love her fun personality, but you will gain a determined and admirable friend.

Shanice Peters is a Senior at Manhattanville College. She is from Brooklyn, NY. She's a Creative Writing major with a minor in Marketing and Communications. In her free time she enjoys making YouTube videos about fashion and beauty, writing on her personal blog and watching Gossip Girl. She's excited to be the Campus Correspondent for Manhattanville and hopes to engage students in her last year.