This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mville chapter.

At Manhattanville, you can always run into a student who’s involved in many activities. They pack their weekly routines with meetings, leadership positions and more. Damiana Carolini is an example of an active student. She’s from close by Mamaroneck, New York and is a double major in Early Childhood/Childhood Education and English with a concentration in Creative Writing. On campus, she’s an RA (Resident Advisor) for Founders Hall, a Mentor, Head Tour Guide and is apart of the Manhattanville Dance Ensemble Disney team for the second year. As you can see, she’s active in many different ways on campus.

Many students sometimes decide to not be involved on campus because of academic work load, but Damiana handles it all. “I like to keep myself busy or else I get lazy and procrastinate.” She said. “I also wanted to get involved on campus and doing all that I do did just that. I love everything I’m apart of and don’t know what I would do without it all. Each group I’m involved with helps me for my future as well as teaches me something new each day. What’s better then that?” She said happily.

Education is a popular major here at Manhattanville and a major that draws in a lot of students for different reasons. “I’ve always loved to help people and work with kids.” Damiana explained. “I worked as a babysitter since I was 13 and worked at a day camp for 6 years working with younger kids and absolutely loved it. My senior year of hs we did a senior internship and I went to my elementary school. Was placed in a 1st grade classroom. After one day I fell in love and knew that was exactly where I wanted to be.” 

The education program at Manhattanville is what actually inspired Damiana to attend. “I picked Manhattanville because I knew the education program was great and had the 5 year program which I am now apart of.” She said. The 5 year program at Manhattanville allows you to get your masters degree in teaching by end of your 5th year. “I applied to schools in the local area knowing that when I graduate I would be placed in the local area I knew that it was a good idea to stay close to home. I went on three tours and visited in general a million times. Each time I felt so comfortable and welcomed. I totally saw myself on campus. I liked the small class size and how the campus was just the right size.” The small class sizes is what draws many to the college. The 16:1 student faculty ratio allows professors to personally know their students.

With Manhattanville being able to offer these opportunities to Damiana, what could she miss? “I’m going to miss being a college student. Grad school is going to be a bit different. I also don’t know what I will do with out all my friends that I’ve made. Honestly can’t live without them.” She said and like many other students, she’s not ready to let go of these years. “I don’t want to grow up yet, but who does?” She said laughing.

Now that her college experience will soon be coming to an end, it’s time for the next group of students to have their own experience. Also, it’s time to listen up for some advice. “Every class is important and the information you learn can be used in the future. We are paying a lot of money for these classes what’s the point of slacking?” She said. 

If you ever pass by the RA Office in Founders, stop by the Mentor Center, see a dance showcase or stop by admissions, be sure to give Damiana a nice greeting and congratulate her on her many accomplishments.

Shanice Peters is a Senior at Manhattanville College. She is from Brooklyn, NY. She's a Creative Writing major with a minor in Marketing and Communications. In her free time she enjoys making YouTube videos about fashion and beauty, writing on her personal blog and watching Gossip Girl. She's excited to be the Campus Correspondent for Manhattanville and hopes to engage students in her last year.