pang yuhao kd5cxwZOK4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
pang yuhao kd5cxwZOK4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Senior Stories: Carlos Zapata

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mville chapter.

We all have that one person on campus we always notice. They have a unique way of carrying themselves and greeting everyone. Carlos Zapata is one student you can’t miss. From his up beat “hey girl!” to his incredible fashion, he’s impossible not to notice. Carlos resides in the The Bronx, New York, but also lives on campus. He is a Senior with a major in Communications and a minor in Marketing and Business Management. A long with his studies, Carlos also is active on campus. He is a PAC Mentor, Library Marketing Assistant, and also was an Orientation Leader. 

There are many reasons why students decide to come to Manhattanville College. From the beautiful campus to the diversity. However, experience is always a big one. “It was the closest place away from home without having to live at home. Always wanted the whole college experience.” He said. Many students come from local areas in order to have the independence of being away from home, but also to be close to family. However, with graduation quickly approaching in May, there is also something he’ll miss. “Being able to just see my friends every day.” He added which is understable. No longer could he take a stroll down the hall or a quick walk over to the next residence hall to visit his friends.

Photo Credit: Johnson Soledispa​

The opportunities at Manhattanville have been endless for Carlos. He’s had multiple Senior Spotlight recognitions, taken on projects in the Communication and Media Department, found his internship with Sircle Media, has been nominated for a Castle Pin and is also creating his own portfolio and online website. These are all of the various accomplishments he’s made over his college career.

Here comes the most dreaded question of every college Senior… what’s next? “I would really love to move into another borough in NYC and hopefully work as a Marketing Assistant or Social Media Manager to build clients media presence online.” He said confidently. Many of his peers, including myself, have no doubt that he’ll do great things. Where does he see himself 10 years from now? “Hopefully I will be well into the Marketing field, getting my Masters in Integrated Marketing Communication, and living comfortably.” He added.

We always learn lessons in college. We make mistakes and we constantly learn from them everyday. What advice does he have for students? “The more time you spend doubting yourself is less time you have to do it. Experience things without knowing what you’re about to experience and if it is something you didn’t enjoy, learn from it.” He said very wisely.

As for his final words of the interview? “Are you hiring? Please check my LinkedIn!” He said jokingly. In all seriousness, be sure to check out Carlos! Make sure you get to have a quick chat with him before he leaves the ville and heads off to do incredible things!

Shanice Peters is a Senior at Manhattanville College. She is from Brooklyn, NY. She's a Creative Writing major with a minor in Marketing and Communications. In her free time she enjoys making YouTube videos about fashion and beauty, writing on her personal blog and watching Gossip Girl. She's excited to be the Campus Correspondent for Manhattanville and hopes to engage students in her last year.