pang yuhao kd5cxwZOK4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
pang yuhao kd5cxwZOK4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Senior Spotlight : Sarah Mattice

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mville chapter.

Sarah Mattice ’17 is a music education major here at Manhattanville College. She is from a place in upstate New York called Windham Mountain. Her love of music drives her to be an educator. I got the chance to sit down with Sarah and ask her a few questions about music and more.  

What got you involved in music education?

SM: Well, I started out as a musical theatre major when I was a freshman. After a year of doing it, I decided that’s not where my true passion lies. I switched to music education my sophomore year and it was the best decision I’ve ever made. I really love it! I can’t wait to be a teacher and teach children to fall in love with music like I did.

Even though you are not graduating in May, what will be your plans when you do graduate?

SM: I’ll definitely go to grad school to get my masters degree. I’m not sure though if I’ll get a job and work and go to school at the same time, we’ll see!

What is it like to be working on your senior recital?

SM: Working on my senior recital is so overwhelming for me. There’s so much music to learn so quickly. I don’t always feel like I’m getting the support I need which isn’t great, but I’m working hard.

You helped create the X&Y Chromotones this year. What has that been like?

SM: When it comes to the X&Y Chromotones, I feel like a proud parent. This whole thing has been such a wonderful learning experience for me! It has helped me learn how to manage a group which will definitely be useful in my future as a teacher! I’m just so excited about how far we’ve come. After our debut showcase last semester, I was walking on air for like two weeks after the concert! I watched our performance videos over and over and over again and I just couldn’t stop smiling. It was incredible!  I’ve also loved meeting new friends through this process. I love each and every individual person in the group. They all bring something different and I love that. I’m super proud that we’ve been given the opportunity to represent Manhattanville College in Disney World! I’ve never been to Disney before so I’m excited!

What is something no one knows about you?

SM: When I was little and would take baths, every time I would pretend I was Ariel from The Little Mermaid and I would try to reenact the “Part of your world” scene. Everytime my mom would get mad because she’d have to mop up water off the bathroom floor, but I was convinced that I was going to be a mermaid when I grew up.

If you won the lottery what would you buy?

SM: I’d probably buy lots of country concert tickets. Country is my favorite. I’d also probably do something for my family, like a vacation. They’re really important to me. Also probably buy some clothes because I’m a lowkey shopaholic on a college student’s budget.

Mville Class of '18 Musical Theater Major, American Studies Minor.