This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mville chapter.

Karina Cordova is yet another graduating senior, and one of Her Campus Manhattanville’s editors! Karina is a Communications major with a double minor in art and marketing. “I came into Mville as an art major but took one music business class and one communications class. I love the music business and still plan on working in the business. But, I fell in love with how broad Communications was and I loved getting to learn how our media works. I chose art as a minor because painting and photography will always be my first loves and I wanted to grow my skills so why not take classes? I chose Marketing because it complimented Communications so well and it interested me.”

Karina is from South Bronx, and learned about Manhattanville through her sister. “Not going to lie my first choice was an art school in San Francisco, but my mom didn’t want me going that far. My two choices close to home were Mville and St. John’s University. When I went to both schools for a tour Mville felt more like home.”

Karina is on the board of MVL Radio, the Music Industry Club, Her Campus, and has been a member of Breaking the Silence.  “I started taking photos for MVL Radio my freshman year, even though I wasn’t a DJ at the time. I had been a concert photographer since high school and I decided to bring my camera to the shows MVL put on. The assistant station manager at the time Raina Mullen (15′) asked if I could send her the photos to put on the site. The next year I was a DJ and on the board as web content and photographer. I made a lot of my friends through the radio and have gotten closer with them because of it… I stayed with MVL Radio because I wanted a way to bring the campus community together with music. We put on shows not for us to have fun but for the school to have fun and give on campus musical acts a chance to perform. I also love seeing those who are interested in working with radio in the future getting the experience they want outside of the classroom. Music Industry Club we also put on shows but we mainly bring speakers to come speak to students interested in being in the Music Industry. Which was something we felt was lacking when we were Freshmen.”

While MVL Radio and The Music Industry club have a special place in Karina’s heart, so do her other clubs! Karina joined Breaking the Silence, which she considers the most important club at Manhattanville, “it raises awareness and helps put an end to sexual violence and rape culture.” And don’t forget her Her Campus Career! “I remember Shanice Peters (17′), our campus correspondent, coming up to me and asking if I would be interested in join since she knew I liked to take pictures and stuff. I jumped on the opportunity and now I’m one of the section editors for our chapter. I have made friends with people I wouldn’t have if it hadn’t been for Her Campus.”

Though Karina leads a very busy campus life, Karina also runs her own blog, Okarina of the Time! (Which is pretty fantastic, if you haven’t already, you can check it out here!)  “I always had people ask me where I would get my clothes and some said I should make a blog about it. I always looked at other blogs for outfit inspirations and if a product was actually worth buying. But I was so scared to put myself out there and didn’t feel like my writing skills were that great. So it took me a while to actually make a blog. The first blog I made was in the beginning of my sophomore year that focused on DIYs, but I didn’t share it with anyone. It was a way to ease myself into the blogging world. Then, one day I had a friend take pictures of my double denim outfit and I liked how the photos came out, I usually hated photos of myself. I rushed to my room to make a wordpress account and started my new blog. My friend Brianna Cupples (17’) convinced me to share it on Facebook and Twitter. I was scared and anxious that everyone would hate it, but a lot of people liked it. So, I continued to do it two years later.”

Karina gets her fashion inspiration from real live people on the subway and on the streets of New York., but she also looks at other people’s blogs for a little help too. “One of my favorite places is Lookbook.nu, which is a social media platform for those who love fashion, there I get a feel of what people are wearing all around the world. I also like to look at old fashion trends from the 50s, 70s, and 90s.”

After Manhattanville Karina hopes to work as a publicist at either a music or fashion PR firm, while holding a part time photographer position. “One thing I’ll miss a lot is the ease of hanging out with my friends. My friend group for the most part are from New York or are planning on staying in New York after graduating. But nothing beats having your friends across the hall.” Karina knows that having good friends on campus is important to a happy college career, “I was very close to transferring my Freshman year, but I stayed because of them (My friends). When, I would be sad or anxious or stressed I could always count on them to change my mood almost immediately.”

Fun Fact! If you run into Karina on campus, bring up Cosplay! Karina has gone to many Comic Cons and participates by doing some amazing cosplays!

Student at Manhattanville College, right outside of New York City! Editor at the Mville chapter I am majoring in Marketing and Communications with a minor in Sociology, and look forward to working either in the music business, or at a non-profit organization! I am an advocate for those who suffer from mental illness, such as anxiety, suicidal thoughts, depression, and self harm. I'm a crafter, dreamer, and traveler. I believe everyone has a story that's just waiting to be told..