Senior Spotlight : Jess Cowle

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mville chapter.

Jessica Cowle, better known as Jess around campus, is a senior from Carmel, New York.  “I chose Manhattanville because I really like the small campus community.  Coming from a small high school, I couldn’t see myself at a larger school.”

A double major in American Studies and Communications with a minor in Music, Jess is pretty busy, add in her multiple jobs and club positions, and Jess has a lot on her plate!  “I’m like the dog that’s on fire but still drinking coffee saying this is fine.” She laughs as she pans through her planner, trying to manage her busy day to day schedule. Jess is the Executive Editor of the Touchstone Newspaper, Social Media Coordinator for the Manhattanville Office of Undergraduate Admissions, and works at the Library’s “Ask Us!” desk, “Come say hi to me!”

Because of her double major and minor, Jess has taken quite a few classes with a plethora of professors. “Doctor Faber is one of my favorite professors! Not only do we share the same ideas, but she’s also one of the most down to Earth professors that I’ve had. She’s teaching some American Studies courses this year if anyone wants to take her!”  But Doctor Faber isn’t the only professor who has her heart, “My favorite class that I’ve taken would have to be Acting for the Camera. Coming to class and having ourselves recorded and actually get to see the way we act is one of the coolest things that I’ve done at Manhattanville! Professor Hubberth also has the best personality, so it is overall a great class!”

Touchstone has been one of Jess’ biggest endeavours in college.  “I was never a big fan of reading and writing, but my suite mate dragged me to a meeting sophomore year and I got hooked. I started out doing the social media, maybe putting an article in here or there but I got really involved last year when I was a copy editor… but look at me now! Moving up in the world as the Executive Editor!” When writing articles Jess prefers to write spotlight pieces, “I really enjoy learning about new people and what they love. Everyone is different and everyone has different passions, and I love to hear how they take their passion and create it into art/music/writing.”  As of right now, Jess doesn’t plan to continue onto a career path with journalism, she’s hoping to pursue and advertising and social media career path instead.

On campus, Jess’ most frequented activity is homework, you can catch her in the library ost nights. When she does get a night off from her studies, she catches up on Netflix or grab a bite to eat off campus at some of her favorite local eateries. “I was forced to try Pho once and I got hooked, so there’s a little Pho place in Danbury, CT that I LOVE. Around here, I like T-Swirl, and Cheesecake Factory”

The college experience isn’t always an easy one, and Jess definitely has people who have made her college adventure easier over the last four years.  “Doctor Faber and Professor Morris have really helped me grow. I began my journey here at Manhattanville as a Musical Theatre major, but realized that MUT was not for me. Both Doctor Faber and Professor Morris helped me learn my passion for History and American STudies, ultimately having me minor in it and giving me the opportunity to take more classes, leading to my decision to pursue it as a major!  Having strong family support has helped me along the way as well, whether my mom is texting me wishing me good luck for a test, or my dad asking me if he needs to drop off more clothes; both of my parents are my number one fans and I would not have gotten this far without their constant support and love.  My pug, Freddie, also gives me life every single day because he is the cutest creature alive.”

Post Mville, Jess plans on pursuing a career in Marketing and Social Media, and hopes to land a job in her field of choice, though she is considering going to graduate school  “I’m really hoping to land a job with a smaller company, possibly even a startup of my own so I can be my own boss. I’m hoping in ten years to be the proud mother of about 15 rescued pugs (Just kidding!) I hope to be successful in my career, and happy wherever I am in life. Maybe I’ll get to live in a castle in 10 years! You never know!”

If you happen to run into Jess, here are some of her favorite things to get a conversation started!

Favorite Color – Tiffany Blue

Top Three Bands/Artists –

1. Fall Out Boy

2. Blink 182

3. Green Day

Dream Pet – I already have my dream pet, Freddie the Pug.

Favorite Ice Cream Flavor – I’m a HUGE Cannoli fan, but usually ice cream shops don’t have Cannoli, so I like Salted Caramel and Coffee!

Student at Manhattanville College, right outside of New York City! Editor at the Mville chapter I am majoring in Marketing and Communications with a minor in Sociology, and look forward to working either in the music business, or at a non-profit organization! I am an advocate for those who suffer from mental illness, such as anxiety, suicidal thoughts, depression, and self harm. I'm a crafter, dreamer, and traveler. I believe everyone has a story that's just waiting to be told..