Reasons Why Writing Is Beneficial

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mville chapter.

Okay, well I understand not everyone is a writer, but we all have those days where we feel the need to channel our thoughts in a journal (It’s pretty normal to feel this way). Here’s just a few ways of how writing can benefit anyone!

1.     Allows you to release tensions. 

Writing is cathartic. It allows you to release any built up tensions, and emotions. Our emotions are sometimes difficult to understand, so putting it on the page can sometimes help sort through our desires and needs and ultimately helps us to decide how we should respond to them.

2.     Helps build intelligence

Writing helps build an emotional intelligence. Yes, intelligence is important but an emotional intelligence at times can be even greater. The way in which we are in tune with our emotions helps us to connect to other people socially, and also to the outside world which can benefit us in a number of different situations whether it be in a newly found relationship, interacting with classmates/colleagues etc. 

3.     Helps you find yourself.

Looking back on a journal or old writing pieces can help you see how far you’ve come in your writing ability, or just how you’ve changed as a person. Each day we wake up and look at ourselves to try and improve certain aspects of our lives. Writing allows you to see this progress, and to help identify ourselves as people.

4.     Helps you to discover the unknown(s). 

Life is full of unknowns, so writing allows you to free yourself based on any pre-conceived notions relating to certain topics like politics, religion, death etc; which are sometimes not entirely appropriate to bring up in conversation. In writing about these unknowns, we are able to learn on our own about these topics, and how we should come to terms with them. 

Samantha Rice is a college student at Manhattanville majoring in Creative Writing and minoring in Dance.
Shanice Peters is a Senior at Manhattanville College. She is from Brooklyn, NY. She's a Creative Writing major with a minor in Marketing and Communications. In her free time she enjoys making YouTube videos about fashion and beauty, writing on her personal blog and watching Gossip Girl. She's excited to be the Campus Correspondent for Manhattanville and hopes to engage students in her last year.