samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Next Chapter: After Graduation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mville chapter.

On May 21st, 2017 I will be graduating from Manhattanville College. It’s a moment that I knew that many of my fellow graduates and I were waiting for, but with excitement can come other emotions. I’m nervous, scared, anxious, and confused. All of senior year I was asked “What are you doing after graduation?” and now here I am, 36 days until I walk across the stage and still unsure of what is to come.

I know I’m not the only one in this position. Many of us are unsure about what is next. Some of us are lucky and already have secured plans. The most important thing to know is that you will find your way. You will. Even if it takes you awhile, you will eventually get there. Getting a full-time job and affording to live on your own, pay bills, shop for groceries, etc. is not as simple as it was for our parents. The job market is competitive and depending on your industry it can be even harder. Space is limited.

I don’t say this with the intention of scaring you, I say this to get you thinking. With graduation so close, it’s time to start up a plan B until you can reach your plan A. Here are some tips:

Get a job, any job

If your job search within your field of interest isn’t going very well, find a temporary job that will buy you time to keep searching for your entry level position, but also provide you with some money. This way you can start saving and still be financially alright before you make it big time. Some good jobs to look at is working at a summer camp, retail or even assistant or freelance positions.

Search for experience

While you’re on your job search, keep looking to gain experience and knowledge. Do an internship just to build up your resume. Employers like seeing that in the time you were unemployed you did something to better understand your area of interest. Attend a conference or networking event to gain more insight. All these things will matter in the end.

Positive Changes

Take this time to make positive changes for yourself that maybe you never got around to in college. For example, my goal is to shed a few pounds and to focus more on self care. Doing things like this will help you feel more prepared for the moment your first opportunity arises.

Breathe

This is the biggest tip I can give. Simply breathe. Give yourself the chance to reorganize your thoughts and set even more goals. Everything happens for a reason and everything will work out the way it should be.

Congratulations to the class of 2017! May all good things come your way.

Shanice Peters is a Senior at Manhattanville College. She is from Brooklyn, NY. She's a Creative Writing major with a minor in Marketing and Communications. In her free time she enjoys making YouTube videos about fashion and beauty, writing on her personal blog and watching Gossip Girl. She's excited to be the Campus Correspondent for Manhattanville and hopes to engage students in her last year.