This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mville chapter.

My right hand woman, best friend, and my mother. Not everyone is lucky enough to have someone in their lives like you mom. Yeah, whenever we fight it feels like the third world war, but that’s because we’re the same person from inside to out. With all of our similarities it makes it that much harder to leave you after all the amazing weekend home, but to school and work. This is where my dislike for Sunday’s has grown from. I love our midnight talks about whatever is on our minds: “Did you watch the new Gray’s episode?”  “Do you want to go for a manicure tomorrow morning?” “Did I tell you what happened at work yesterday?”

When did our relationship become so open? I have no idea where to even begin. I praise you for being able to hold the role of being a single mother supporting two children in addition to two puppies; not to mention maintaining a close relationship and liking  your children and puppies. There’s never a dull moment with you, and never anything I can’t confide in you about. You take everything with such ease. You’re able to talk me off the ledge because you always seem to know exactly how I am feeling. I don’t know what I would ever do without you.

Thank you for teaching me that it is possible to be best friends with your daughter, and for always listening to my crazy stories, and for so much more. Being a non-traditional mother gave us room to grow and express ourselves in a way that others don’t. You’ve become the most reliable person in my life. Even though I don’t always tell you, I love and appreciate everything you have done for me over the last twenty-one years, and I miss you like crazy everyday I’m away at school.

Dancer. Lover. Believer. Manhattanville College.
Shanice Peters is a Senior at Manhattanville College. She is from Brooklyn, NY. She's a Creative Writing major with a minor in Marketing and Communications. In her free time she enjoys making YouTube videos about fashion and beauty, writing on her personal blog and watching Gossip Girl. She's excited to be the Campus Correspondent for Manhattanville and hopes to engage students in her last year.