Making Extra Cash as a Broke College Student Shopaholic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mville chapter.

I have a ton of clothes, some of which I have worn once or twice and got bored of it. My freshman year, almost three years ago, I came to college with two huge suitcases full of clothes. I only wore a fraction of the clothes my first two semesters and noticed I didn’t need that many. I had been wearing a uniform everyday since pre-k, so this was news to me.

By the end of my freshman year I came across two apps, available in the App Store and Google Play, that would minimize my closet while making a bit of cash, Poshmart and Vinted. Both apps give you the options to buy, sell, and swap clothing with others in the online community. Each takes about 19% of the profits, but you’re still making more cash than you would if the clothes were sitting in your closet. Also, each of the apps have prepaid shipping, so you don’t have to pay for shipping, the buyer does.

That summer I went through all my clothes picking the pieces I wanted to keep, the ones I wanted to sell, and the ones I wanted to donate. Last year and this year I have sold around 76 of my pre-loved clothing.

I talked some of my friends into downloading the apps and they have loved it and made a bit of cash from it too.  

If you want to start selling some clothes online here’s a few tips. 

1. Shoot your items in the daytime because natural lighting is better than bedroom lighting and the colors of the garments will stay true in the photo.
  2. Model the clothes to give the buyer a better knowledge on how it fits. (or on a mannequin if you have one)
  3. Provide your measurements and the measurements of the clothes.
  4. Style the clothes; recommended with other clothes you are selling.
  5. Don’t overprice, ask yourself how much you’re willing to pay for that article of clothing that has been worn in.
  6. Have a cohesive style to your ‘closet,’ your listings, that way you get more buyers to your profile.

Bonus tip: Post your listings on both apps if one doesn’t sell on one it might on the other. 

Happy selling! X

Shanice Peters is a Senior at Manhattanville College. She is from Brooklyn, NY. She's a Creative Writing major with a minor in Marketing and Communications. In her free time she enjoys making YouTube videos about fashion and beauty, writing on her personal blog and watching Gossip Girl. She's excited to be the Campus Correspondent for Manhattanville and hopes to engage students in her last year.