freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

A Letter to My Soulmate on Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mville chapter.

Dear Soulmate,

I’m tired of society shoving down my throat that on Valentine’s Day you need to have a Valentine or you need to be loved on that day. I’m tired of it because I know that when I’m finally with you that you’ll be my Valentine every year. Not just on February 14th, but every other day as well. I believe you will show that you love me everyday and not just on one day out of the year.

Valentine’s Day to me is just an excuse to spend a lot of money to show someone you love them. I want you to know that you don’t have to spend a lot of money on me to prove your love. I enjoy the simplicity of a nice cuddle on a cold winter night or spontaneous conversations about topics people don’t normally talk about. If you feel any need to spend money on me just McDonald’s or ice cream will do just fine. I don’t need you to shower me with gifts because everyday with you is a gift itself. 

You accept my flaws and you appreciate me for who I am. You don’t mind my crazy obsession with makeup or burgers. You like my little tea collection and the fact that I have a slight obsession with Taylor Swift or how I talk about my cat all the time. You don’t mind that I like being on my own at times and when I feel lonely you know how to keep me in great company. You’ve seen me at my worst and still stuck by my side. You’ve seen me at my happiest and never tried to bring me down. Know that I will always stand by you and support you beause I’m not only your lover, but your best friend.

I accept your flaws and appreciate you for who you are. I may not know your quirks and little obessions yet, but I can’t wait until I get to learn all about them. I can’t wait to spend everyday with you and to keep you company. I hope that you are prepared for my lame jokes and over the top laughs. Be ready to open up to me and know that I won’t judge you. I’ll love you unconditionally. 

I’ll always be honest with you even if the truth hurts sometimes. I hope my honesty allows you to trust me. I know I’ll trust you despite how hard it may be for me. Trust is a scary thing, but as soulmates we have found trust in one another. I trust you with my heart, my emotions and my entireself. Please know that I will never do anything to break that trust. I may tell the ocassional little white lie, but I promise it’ll only be because I have a surprise for you. I want to give you the best surprises when you least expect it just to see you smile because I know your smile will be my next obsession. 

We may argue and sometimes want to give up, but I hope when you look at me and when I look at you that you’ll remember how much we care about one another. I hope that when we do argue, we learn to communicate calmly. I’ll always listen even when I think you’re wrong and I hope you will do the same. We will come to an agreement not because we’re tired of arguing, but because we genuinely want to keep one another happy. 

I want you to know that I think about you everyday because I know you’re somewhere in the world. You may be in a relationship right now or sitting at home alone, but I promise sooner or later we’ll run into each other. I don’t know what you look like and I don’t know what to expect, but I do know when I finally meet you that I’ll be all set. Life together will be splendid and I can’t wait. Happy Valentine’s Day soulmate, I can’t wait until our first date.

Sincerly,

Your Soulmate

Shanice Peters is a Senior at Manhattanville College. She is from Brooklyn, NY. She's a Creative Writing major with a minor in Marketing and Communications. In her free time she enjoys making YouTube videos about fashion and beauty, writing on her personal blog and watching Gossip Girl. She's excited to be the Campus Correspondent for Manhattanville and hopes to engage students in her last year.