A Letter to My Best Friend Back Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mville chapter.

To my best friend back home,

I don’t even know how to start this. There is so much I want to tell you, but it feels like there is no time to do that. Typical college. We’ve both been busy between work, classes, and clubs. There’s not enough time in the day, but every day brings a new story for me to quickly write down so I don’t forget to tell you. There’s a whole box full of them at this point.

I miss all the times we would hang out to do one thing and it would always end with us baking whatever mixes we could get our hands on. Even the summer’s sitting by the fire in your backyard talking about all the drama that occurred that week. Yes, we didn’t go to the same school, but from all the stories we told about the same people it made it feel like we both knew all these people personally. Too bad we don’t talk to any of those friends anymore. No matter which friend came or gone, you were right by my side through everything. Every breakup you were there waiting with ice cream, and pre-written Facebook messages to all the ones that hurt me the most. Even though you never sent them, if I never said it back then, thank you. You made feel better whenever I was at my lowest. The endless jokes always helped me get over whatever was going on at that time.

Every day I think about our inside jokes, and how they were started. I can’t help myself from laughing out loud at the risk of everyone watching me. The pictures of us around my room are constant reminders of all the jokes. Remember that time you put Vic’s all over yourself at dance? Or when I came to help you get ready for your prom all day, and I even did my hair and makeup at your house? All these moments will live with me forever. All these goofy, crazy, and happy moments are going to be the things I talk about for the rest of my life. No one will ever understand them like you though. Every time we see each other we always talk about them as if it all happened yesterday. No one would understand most of the things we talk about because they haven’t been there as long as you have.

All though we don’t talk every day, just know I see everything you’re doing. I am so proud of everything that you’ve accomplished this far. You take on so many projects, but handle it all so well. I can’t wait until the next time I see you to give you the recognition you deserve. Even though we haven’t seen each other in a long time, I know that when we do fall back into our hang out rituals as if we haven’t been apart. I can’t wait to go on a quick Target run to get all the snacks for a movie night after we get our nails done, and obviously get our usual dinner at Panera Bread.

Love always,

Your Best friend and Sister

Dancer. Lover. Believer. Manhattanville College.
Shanice Peters is a Senior at Manhattanville College. She is from Brooklyn, NY. She's a Creative Writing major with a minor in Marketing and Communications. In her free time she enjoys making YouTube videos about fashion and beauty, writing on her personal blog and watching Gossip Girl. She's excited to be the Campus Correspondent for Manhattanville and hopes to engage students in her last year.