This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mville chapter.

Korean pop is something that everyone is talking about. It is something that has changed many lives and the way we see things. Music is a universal language that we can all relate to. Korean pop music ranges from groups like BTS, NCT, Red Velvet, Loona, and Got7.

I recently got into K-pop and let me tell you, it’s the best thing that has happened to me. I love the choreography, the rhythm, and the lyrics. Many connect with one another with the music. It is something that we can all relate to and talk about. It is definitely taking over the United States by storm.

For example, BTS is the first ever Korean act to land appearances on the Ellen Show, The Late Late Night Show with James Corden and Jimmy Kimmel Live. The Guinness World Records tweeted the news that “the South Korean band has succeeded in earning a spot in this year’s #GWR2018 edition for having the world’s most @Twitter engagements for a music group!”. Also, BTS’ songs ‘DNA’ and ‘Mic Drop Remix’ is now certified gold by the RIAA, making them the first every Korean act to do so. As well as them being the first ever Korean boy band to perform at the 2017 American Music Awards and receiving an award at the 2017 Billboard Music Awards for Top Social Artist. The BTS Army goes hard when it comes to their boys, always trending on Twitter and making it possible for them to go on a world tour to get them to come to America more often.

Fans are able to really get into Korean pop when videos are made on YouTube of Korean band’s songs being translated into their own language. It makes it easy for those who don’t know the language making it easier to understand what their favorite groups are singing about. For the fans, it is not all about looks but more of how they carry themselves in their music and how genuine they are to their fans. It is a special connection that they feel towards their groups with the music they create.

Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Manhattanville  Want to join? Feel free to contact me at 1(914)467-9567 or cheskavkola@gmail.com