This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mville chapter.

The hectic holiday season is quickly approaching us. Within the blink of an eye it will be Thanksgiving, and then the craziest shopping day of the year: Black Friday. While most people tend to stay indoors and wait until Cyber Monday, many people venture out into the chaotic malls and spend money like there’s no tomorrow. If you are one of those people who love to go out on Black Friday, here are some tips that may make the day less crazy.

1. Get to the mall early!

This may be an obvious one to some, but getting to the mall early is very important. Not only will you increase your chances of getting a good spot to park your car, or any spot in general, but you can get to stores before shelves are stripped of all the good gifts.

1. Go prepared!

Only rookies go to malls the day of Black Friday not prepared whatsoever. Going prepared will definitely lower the stress of the shopping experience. If you make a list of what you want to buy people, you will know where to go instead of having to waste your time in every single store. You can also prepare by doing research on coupons and ads, so you know where the best (and worst) deals are.

1. Don’t try to fight people for items…It’s not worth it.

It may be funny for some to see in a movie where two ladies get into a fight over the last sweater or hot electronic toy, but in reality, it’s not worth your time to try and attempt to do the same. It can lead to unwanted injuries, and you can always purchase the item at another time, not just on Black Friday.

1. Create a budget, and (try to) stick to it.

Many of us have had those moments in the store where we go in for one item and leave with more than intended, breaking our bank…I know I’ve been guilty of doing that! But on Black Friday, there are deals like no other, and controlling how that money is spent is crucial. You don’t want to spend $200 on yourself and end up with little for your family and friends. Make sure you create a reasonable budget for each of your gifts, and fight the temptation to impulse buy.  

1. Black Friday gets hectic, so try to stay calm.

There will be long lines. There will be people shoving and pushing their way through the crowds. There will even be people yelling and talking loud over music in the stores, making it hard to hear your own thoughts. The chaos is what you sign up for when you go out Black Friday shopping, so take a few deep breaths, and try to stay calm in the midst of madness (this is why planning ahead is a crucial step)!

Black Friday is not one of those “I’ll just wing it” kind of days. However, the right preparation and shopping tips will help those mall shoppers get through it in a breeze.

Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Manhattanville  Want to join? Feel free to contact me at 1(914)467-9567 or cheskavkola@gmail.com