sharon mccutcheon 8lnbXtxFGZw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sharon mccutcheon 8lnbXtxFGZw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Expand Your Makeup Collection for LESS

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mville chapter.

I always get the question “Shanice, how in the world do you have so much makeup?” and I always find myself giving out my advice to each person who asked. Makeup can be pricey now days since drugstore prices have gone up over the years and Sephora is filled with super expensive items. While it may seem impossible to purchase a bunch of makeup and expand your collection, it’s fairly easy. Here are my tips so you can get the makeup collection of your dreams.

Value Sets

Do you ever notice at Sephora or Ulta that sometimes brands have a kit that contains popular products in different sizes, but for a lower price? For example, you may get a deluxe size of a brands mascara, eyeliner and a smaller size of a blush for a value of 30 dollars when if you purchase all individually it could be 60 or more dollars. Value sets allow you to save more money and try out more products no matter the size. My makeup collection consists of products that come from value sets which allows me to grow my collection, but if I genuinely find I love the smaller sized blush then I’ll make the splurge to buy it alone one day.

Discounts

You can always get more makeup whenever it’s discounted because you’re not paying full price. An online brand called BH Cosmetics is a perfect example of this. Their Carli Bybel Eyeshadow and Highlight palette originally was 20 dollars and is now discounted to 14.50. I actually purchased the palette when the price was 12.50. They tend to knock down the price and slowly raise it overtime. So take up the opportunity when products are discounted because again that’s less money you’re spending and more makeup in your collection.

Free Shipping

While you may pay full price for a product, remember that shipping can be a pain if you’re not willing to spend over the normal free shipping amount. Whenever the chance comes when a brand is providing free shipping for limited time, always do it. You can always purchase a bunch of sale items (again, less money) and avoid the shipping costs. You’ll save yourself a few bucks for your next beauty purchase.

Outside Vendors

I once realized that some of our favorite clothing stores such as Urban Outfitters and ASOS can sell beauty brands we know and love. The best part is sometimes their price is less than the original company price. Take advantage of purchasing beauty products from your favorite clothing stores because you never know the deals you can find.

Buy One, Get One

This mainly applies to drugstore makeup, but doing the buy one, get one deals is a must! This is perfect for certain makeup products such as concealers since you can always purchase a lighter shade for highlighting and get the other shade darker for contouring with the BOGO deal. You can save money and get another product for less which is amazing.

What are some of your tips on expanding your makeup collection? Tweet us @hercampusmville! We’d love to know. 

Shanice Peters is a Senior at Manhattanville College. She is from Brooklyn, NY. She's a Creative Writing major with a minor in Marketing and Communications. In her free time she enjoys making YouTube videos about fashion and beauty, writing on her personal blog and watching Gossip Girl. She's excited to be the Campus Correspondent for Manhattanville and hopes to engage students in her last year.