Campus Celebrity: Alicia Leedham

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mville chapter.

Blonde haired, blue green eyed with black eyeliner and smoky eyeshadow, she walks around campus in a skull t-shirt paired with her favorite Doc Martin’s. Her chest upright and a trinity knot ring on her left hand.

Alicia Rose Leedham is a sophomore at Manhattanville with a double major in Political Science and World Religions. She speaks eloquently about these two topics. Her words are direct and well thought out.

She grew up learning about these topics from her father who is a United States Navy veteran. Her interest in religion also began at a young age as she taught young children at summer youth camps and her local church which centered on Roman Catholicism. She always had an interest in these two topics, but didn’t take politics seriously until she was in the 11th grade when she was placed in advanced history courses.  

“I wasn’t sure I could make politics a career until my teachers and family showed me what I could do with politics.” She said.

Her love for religion grew even more in college when she took Professor Gardella’s class called Intro to World Religions. She then decided these were two subjects she wanted to pursue in the future. She believes that “religion is the basis of culture.”

Alicia is well known at Manhattanville and is liked by her peers. Jessica Jhingoor a peer of Alicia’s and has grown to know her this past year.

“Alicia is a very determined person with a lot of confidence. She has a strong belief system and stays strong to that throughout the many facets of her life.” She said honestly.

Her goals for the future first entail graduating from Manhattanville and then applying to graduate school at Columbia, hoping to further her studies in World Religions and Politics. She wishes to pursue higher positions like that of an Ambassador. She is determined to solve many of the issues occurring in the world.

“I would want to focus on creating better relations with the rising nations such as Russia, China, Brazil and India which will show that the United States is willing to cooperate with other countries.” She said.

Alicia’s other life goal is to also serve as the Secretary of State.

“I would like to focus on first hand curing the human rights issues and terrorism in the places that have them. Then I would like to expand on them further by bringing out third world countries into a more industrialized world so that their resources are better appreciated.”

Samantha Rice is a college student at Manhattanville majoring in Creative Writing and minoring in Dance.
Shanice Peters is a Senior at Manhattanville College. She is from Brooklyn, NY. She's a Creative Writing major with a minor in Marketing and Communications. In her free time she enjoys making YouTube videos about fashion and beauty, writing on her personal blog and watching Gossip Girl. She's excited to be the Campus Correspondent for Manhattanville and hopes to engage students in her last year.