This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mville chapter.

I often find that, at times, I think about my past relationships. I always think about what I could have done to prevent the situation that lead to the breakup. If you haven’t heard Bad at Love by Halsey, listen to it. If you’ve already had the opportunity to listen to it, you know what I’m about to say – I am bad at love, but maybe not. I don’t know whether love is something we can be bad at, or that it’s just a sign saying that maybe the person you were in a relationship with just wasn’t meant to be your soulmate; if there is such a thing.

How can we bad at love? Love is something we learn from those we surround ourselves with over time. We’re also products of our environments. We learn what love is; it grows over time. Please do not tell someone you love them after only knowing them for two minutes. Get to know them before you say that word. Love is a big word that comes with a big commitment. If you can’t commit, do not tell me you love me. Let’s take a quick listen to Dive by Ed Sheeran. We can’t dive into anything too quickly; if we did that we risk getting disappointed if things do not work out. There are risks involved in everything we do which is why it is always good to stay alert. I would not suggest keeping guarded because when we keep our guard up we often end up keeping people out. You only let them see one color instead of the whole rainbow. What is the point of the storm if there is no rainbow to follow it? Let your guard down, but stay aware of your partner.

All we can really do is trust that we’re not going to get hurt. It’s simpler to say than it is to do, but if we can’t trust who we’re with then maybe it is time to end things before we hurt ourselves. Trust is the key to all relationships; there is nothing without trust. We all have pasts, do not let your past affect your future. We all must get through the rough times to get to the good ones. It all cannot fall on one person. Both people in the relationship need to give a little trust to get a little trust back. Do not let any fears stop you, I know it is difficult to trust. I’ve been cheated on, left broken, and used, but I will not let that stop me from finding who I am supposed to be with. So here it is – I vow to go into my next relationship open minded, trusting, and as supportive as I can. We can only stop ourselves from feeling anything for anyone. Do not restrict yourself. If you feel anything for anyone, be open about it. Communication is a great gateway for trust to build. Just do not jump into the “I love you” before the “I like you.” There is a difference, you’ll know it when you feel it.

To the guys that are reading this (because I know that there are some of you out there reading this whether you chose to admit it or not), all that has been said in this applies to you too. Trust her, tell her you like her, and be there for her when she needs you. You have a past too, and that is okay; do not let your past define your future. If she pushes you away, pull her back in. Give her the attention that she deserves, and let her adore you for all that you do for her. Most importantly, be yourself because that is how you know she likes you for everything that you are.

Dancer. Lover. Believer. Manhattanville College.
Student at Manhattanville College, right outside of New York City! Editor at the Mville chapter I am majoring in Marketing and Communications with a minor in Sociology, and look forward to working either in the music business, or at a non-profit organization! I am an advocate for those who suffer from mental illness, such as anxiety, suicidal thoughts, depression, and self harm. I'm a crafter, dreamer, and traveler. I believe everyone has a story that's just waiting to be told..