15 Ways To Know You’re a Musical Theatre Major (Especially at Manhattanville)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mville chapter.
  1. YOU KNOW PLAY IS IMPORTANT. There are philosophical reasons why we play Bippity Bop Bop Bop and Zip Zap Zop, and you have Nellie McCaslin quotes in your back pocket to support this.
  2. The idea of only taking 17 credits, or taking 5 classes at a time, is mind boggling to you. What is this “free time” you speak of? 
  3. You know the importance of a perfect circle. Teamwork, everyone!
  4. You find yourself imagining a grid whenever you walk.
  5. You get very confused when you have classes that require shoes and desks. The world is your classroom!
  6. You immediately become alert when someone yells, “5, 6, 7, 8!” Something important is about to happen, people.
  7. You sometimes spontaneously find yourself stretching, humming, and riffing at inappropriate times. “How did I start dramatically singing Maybe This Time, with my leg on this barre? I don’t know, man. I don’t know.”  
  8. You overthink everything in your life, because you’re so used to analyzing characters. What was her motive when she looked at me funny? What was the subtext behind her, “Hello”?
  9. You always feel a little awkward belting pop music in the practice room. But come on, let’s admit we’ve all it done it at some point.
  10. Music Theory has ruined your ability to be a passive listener. “Wait was that a plagal cadence? Dammit, why can’t I just enjoy this…” 
  11. You are sometimes the only person who raises their hand in a Gen Ed class. What? The world is your stage. You always have something to say.
  12. Your celebrity crushes include Kelli O’Hara, Laura Osnes, and Kristin Chenoweth. Regardless of gender identity and sexuality…you would marry these people. 
  13. You have a very strong opinion about Stephen Schwartz. You worship him, or hate him. There’s no in between. 
  14. At some point in your college career, you will sing “Simple Little Things” if you’re a soprano, or “A Trip to the Library” if you’re an alto. It’s inevitable.
  15. You constantly enter the “Hamilton” Lottery on TodayTix. But you never win, do you? Never.
Shanice Peters is a Senior at Manhattanville College. She is from Brooklyn, NY. She's a Creative Writing major with a minor in Marketing and Communications. In her free time she enjoys making YouTube videos about fashion and beauty, writing on her personal blog and watching Gossip Girl. She's excited to be the Campus Correspondent for Manhattanville and hopes to engage students in her last year.