sharon mccutcheon 8lnbXtxFGZw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sharon mccutcheon 8lnbXtxFGZw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

Why Student Premium Spotify is the Best $5 I Spend a Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

Back in 2014, I created my Spotify account. (@simon_lucas98, by the way, if you’re interested. I make great playlists.) And when I got my first job, I upgraded to Premium. $10 a month, no ads, and offline listening. Sounds great, right? Well, then I became a college student, and that’s when the magic happened.

I learned that there was a special Premium plan for students that was 50% off. I logged onto my account and switched my plan. After verifying I was a student at Murray State through their online registry, (which took about five seconds,) my price was reduced from $10 a month to $5. Couldn’t get much better, right? 

Then they added Hulu to my plan.

(Photo by Jean on Unsplash)

I was, in a word, shook. My price didn’t go up at all and now I had Hulu? Sure, it was the plan that included commercials, but it’s its own separate profile. I could even add other profiles for my other family members, which makes for a great bargaining chip at home. “Oh, I don’t do enough around here? Who do you think pays for your constant ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ binge-watching?”

Not to mention, Spotify was still fantastic. Every Monday, a personalized playlist of new music, based on my listening history. With over 30 million songs, I could listen to basically anything I could think of. Music, podcasts, and even a few music videos.

And then they added Showtime. And I truly got to have my cake and eat it, too. Now I got to watch everything on Showtime, too?

Honestly, to me, the one drawback of Spotify is their lack of a referral program. I’ve gotten so many of my friends switched over from A*ple Mu*ic to Spotify that I honestly deserve some sort of reward. 

Simon Placr

Murray State '20

Simon Placr (PLAY-ser) is an Organizational Communications student at Murray State University. He enjoys playing with his pets, watching reruns of The Golden Girls, and finding new ways to annoy his friends. He is the Event Coordinator for Her Campus Murray State and can be found on Instagram as @simon_lucas98.