Why ‘Gender and Diversity Studies’ Should Be a Required Course

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

There are roughly seven and a half billion people in the world, and the number continues to rise. That is at least seven and a half billion unique experiences and perspectives on life. Yet, all too often, we are confined to those directly around us, and, usually, those around us have similar backgrounds. With modern technology, sharing ideas and viewpoints is more accessible than ever. It is about time we make learning about the experiences of others a requirement in education.

(Photo by Avel Chuklanov on Unsplash)

The moment I settled on minoring in Gender and Diversity Studies was after the first day of my Intro to Gender and Diversity Studies class. A weight felt like it had been lifted off my shoulders. I felt safe there. I felt included and like my outlook on life mattered. But, glancing around the room, it doesn’t take a genius to realize the class was filled with mainly girls. This had me wondering: was it the responsibility of women and other minority groups to be educated on social issues?

I grew up in a middle to upper class neighborhood and a school district that was predominately white. To counteract this, as I grew older, I sought out other walks of life and perspectives on society through online connections. Being able to read someone else’s life experiences through their eyes opened mine. I wanted to know more. And I wanted others to want to know more, too.

Never has a class included topics regarding so many marginalized groups, spanning from gender and sexuality to race and religion. It allows insight into these different experiences through the literature and works from the minority groups. Raw, personal accounts of oppression with valid emotions are brought to the surface. The conversations are hard and uncomfortable, but they are necessary. They open the dialogue that leads to positive change, whether social or political.

The beauty of a Gender and Diversity Studies class is it can fit and complement almost any major. Learning and studying about the ways of life of people with different backgrounds can assist in any job field that requires human interaction. It builds compassion. It builds integrity. There is something to take away from every single person, so why not experience a small sampling from many perspectives?

Taking a Gender and Diversity Studies class shouldn’t be viewed as ‘just an easy A’ or a class for only minority groups. It is vital to understanding the world around us, no matter where you come from. Not only can it be an outlet for personal beliefs, but it acts as a place to hear beliefs from others. Gaining knowledge and insight allows for ever-changing views on societies all around, igniting personal and world growth.

(Thumbnail by Jazmin Quaynor on Unsplash)

Allison Hine

Murray State '20

Allison is a psychology major at Murray State University and can be easily spotted across campus by her purple hair. As a St. Louis native, she loves Ted Drewes and will certainly ask where you went to high school. She's been riding horses for over eight years and hopes to someday afford a horse of her own. But, her Pitbull, Piccolo, will do for now. When she's not talking about her dog, Allison can usually be found binging the latest shows on Hulu and Netflix (her favorites at the moment are Station 19 and Glee (again)).