This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

For those of us that live on campus, it can be an incredible thing to gain a job on campus. It allows you to have the opportunity to interact with many of your peers on campus, the flexibility that a regular job would not give you, and the potential to work on your homework when you have down time. It’s a pretty great deal, but that doesn’t mean that there are not some weaknesses to this deal.

For me, I work in the dorms. When you work in the dorms, you are exposed to so many different residents, with many of them being the sweetest people that you could ever meet. However, that doesn’t mean that there are not going to be some bad apples in the patch to really get you down. It can be difficult dealing with terrible residents, especially when there is nothing that you can do other than tell them to talk to their RA or call housing. Additionally, it can get difficult when so many residents need different things all at once, are breaking rules, or are just being downright rude. However, I would not want a job anywhere else on campus.

The RA’s that live in the building you work in are some of the greatest people you will ever meet. I love talking to my RA’s and will even schedule my shifts to where I can maximize my time with these new friends and coworkers I have met. There are many memorable moments that someone can have when working on campus. For example, goofing around in the office when it’s a slow day, going to RA’s events that they host for their building, helping to decorate when they need an extra hand, but also just talking and getting to know them as a person.

I would never regret taking a job on campus and I highly recommend it to anyone that is interested in doing so. It may not pay as much as a regular job, but I guarantee that it will help you in the long run, especially when it comes to bettering yourself and your education.

Gabrielle Gray

Murray State '22

Gabrielle Gray is currently a senior at Murray State University majoring in Elementary Education.Other than attending classes, you can find her drinking coffee at Shaffer Coffee Co., eating sushi from Market 22 in the Curris Center, or helping out around the university. Gabrielle is heavily involved at Murray State University by being one of the College of Education and Human Services senators for the 2020-2021 academic year for the Murray State University Student Government Association, volunteering for events being held around campus, as well as being a social butterfly. Check her out this Fall at the Springer housing desk, or when she occasionally works at her second home: Dan's Southern Prep.