coronavirus medical gear
coronavirus medical gear
Her Campus Media
Wellness

What I Notice Living Life with PCOS

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

Living with PCOS can be difficult at times, especially when people don’t know exactly what it is or how it works. PCOS, or polycystic ovary syndrome, is a medical condition that affects hormone levels in women. This disorder can cause enlarged ovaries that have small cysts around the outer edges, as well as insulin problems. Although the condition isn’t deadly, it is not curable and it can cause complications that lead to more serious health problems, like diabetes, heart disease, infertility, weight gain, and more. Of course, I’m not a doctor, so I can’t speak for everyone when talking about this, but I do have PCOS and these are just a few of the things I have experienced since I started noticing problems. 

Irregular periods are a huge problem for women with PCOS. I would have one for two weeks, and then go two months without having one. It eventually got bad enough that they stopped entirely, and I went without a period for about ten months (sidenote, don’t go this long without having a period. Go talk to your doctor and see what they can do to help you). Women with PCOS also have problems with their hair. Not only do you grow it in unwanted places, such as your face, but your hair on your head may be thinning and oily. It is also extremely easy to become overweight. When you are insulin resistant, or not using insulin you produce properly, glucose builds in the bloodstream and it difficult to lose the weight that you put on. This is why most women with PCOS are overweight, even when we try to lose those pounds we put on. 

I think one of the harder things to deal with is the effects of having the disorder. Infertility is a major issue for some women with PCOS. Every case is different, so it may be easy for one person to get pregant, but very difficult for another person to get pregnant. There are also pregnancy complications that can be a result of the condition. Because we have more weight around the abdominal area, it puts us as more risk for diabetes and heart disease. Fortunately, there are medications we can be put on that help with this so that our chances of getting these diseases are reduced. There are moments where you get judged, though. People are very quick to assume that an overweight woman just means that she is lazy and eats all day, whenever this really isn’t true. So many of us work hard so that we can reduce the effects of PCOS on the body, but it isn’t just a quick and easy process. We have to eat differently and exercise differently than most people who are trying to lose weight in order to see any effects. 

As I said before, there isn’t a cure for PCOS. Most of us are put on some form of birth control that will help regulate our hormones and make sure we are having regular periods. Metformin is also a drug that is perscribed for many PCOS patients. It is traditionally a diabetes medicine, but it helps by improving insulin sensitivity so that periods are regulated and weight loss is promoted. Of course, we are also told to diet and exercise. Food such as fish, chicken, nuts, berries, and other healthy food are used to enhance wieght loss. Extreme workouts are not what we are typically encouraged to do. Instead, we are supposed to do slower workouts, like walking, jogging, or swimming. 

Now you know a little more about PCOS and what it is like to it! It’s a lot less scary than it sounds, but it definitely does cause some complications in life. If you think you have any of these symptoms, it might be best to talk to a doctor where they will do a blood test or an ultrasound. As always, there are plenty of women’s support groups that would love to answer questions if you have any!

Taylor Moore

Murray State '24

Taylor Moore is currently a sophomore at Murray State University majoring in Advertising. On campus she is part of the Honors College, Ads Club, Springer-Franklin RCC Executive Board, and Her Campus! When she isn't in her classes, she enjoys kayaking, hanging out with friends, crafting, and other on campus activities.