Weekend Getaways: Nashville

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

Getting away from the stress of school is sometimes hard, especially when you’re running on a college student’s budget. Thankfully, Murray State students have several options for near-by getaways. One of my favorites being Nashville, Tennessee. Here’s some things to do while you’re there!

Explore The Gulch! (For those days when your bank account isn’t crying…) A relaxed, hippy neighborhood right outside downtown, the Gulch is a great area to spend the day. Great food, good shopping and, in my opinion, Nashville’s best coffee shop, you’ll be covered. Start out with brunch at The Little Octopus, then head right next door and splurge a little at Urban Outfitters and Two Old Hippies (they have the BEST socks!).  Head on over to Burger Republic for lunch, but don’t worry, they’ve got way more than burgers on the menu! Now that you’re nice and full, you may need a little pampering for yourself. Walk down the sidewalk a little, and you’ll find one of the best dry bars in Nashville! Or maybe you’re in the mood for some yoga? Don’t worry! Yoga studios are all over the place in The Gulch, too. And the coffee I mentioned earlier? Head back to the Thompson Hotel and you’ll notice a small coffee shop nestled in the lobby. Killebrew Coffee offers a wide variety of drinks, and the best part is they’re all home brewed and organic!  Photo courtesy of Jordyn Rowland

For the 21 and up crowd: In case you didn’t know, Nashville has quite the bar selection. Head downtown and hit up Broadway street for tons of live music, beer and shopping. It’s pretty touristy, but it’s the weekend. You’re allowed. There’s also an Elvis statue that makes its way through downtown… finding him for a selfie is always fun! There’s also lots of brewrey tours available in Nashville, so if you want something a little more organized, this may be more your style. 

Spend a day next to the Parthenon: Yes, you read that right. Nashville has a scaled replica of the famous Parthenon located in Greece. In the middle of Centennial Park, this is the place for all things chill. While you may run into a birthday party, concert, or art festival, this park is so huge you can find a quiet corner somewhere. Or crash a birthday party. You do you, girl. Maybe they’ll give you cake. 

People Watching at Green Hills: If you want to see Carrie Underwood or Taylor Swift, head to the Mall at Green Hills. Maybe don’t buy anything, unless Jimmy Choo and Louis Vuitton are in your budget, but nobody said anything against people watching. Green Hills is Nashville’s celebrity spotting hub. While the area is expensive, there’s tons to do and people to see! Grab a drink from Starbucks and sit outside Nordstrom and just wait. If you stay long enough, I’m sure you’ll see someone and you might even get a selfie. 

Nashville has way more to offer than this, but maybe these will get you started! It’s only a 2-hour drive from Murray State’s campus; the perfect distance for blasting music with your best friends. Just make sure you don’t forget your boots!

Jordyn Rowland

Murray State '19

Jordyn is a public relations major and film studies minor at Murray State University, where she has been for three years as an undergraduate student. She is an avid watcher of anything created by Shonda Rhimes, but her favorite is by far Grey's Anatomy. She enjoys traveling... a lot. Her favorite places so far are Los Angeles and Berlin. She really loves her dog and would adopt 50 more if she wasn't allergic. Jordyn's plans include running her own TV show and trying every drink on the menu (including the hidden one!) from Starbucks.