The Way to An Elementary Education Major’s Heart

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

I’ve been an elementary education major for two years now, and I’ve noticed how similar we all are when it comes to what makes us happy. There’s a lot of us here on campus and I don’t mind saying that we may be some of the nicest and most responsible people on campus. So if you are looking to befriend or ask out an elementary education major then just follow my instructions and there is no way you can fail. 

• Buy them flair pens

• The education major’s primary writing utensil. You can open any elementary education major’s bag and you are guaranteed to find at least one complete set of flair pens (bonus points if they are sorted in rainbow order). Most ELE (elementary education) majors are big organizers and planners. These flair pens mean super cute and neat notes and planners. Nothing in boring pencil or plain ballpoint pens, only magenta flair pens, please. 
    • Paper Mate Flair Pens
  • Bring them food

• Our schedules are often so crazy, especially as a junior and senior, that we may have forgotten to carve out time to eat. I, personally, will never turn down food. The only tricky part is that about half of us are incredibly picky eaters, and the other half would eat anything. Make sure you know who you are working with before you upset them with food they won’t eat.
  • Help them shop for “teacher” clothes

• We are always on the lookout for a good “teacher outfit” to wear at observations, practicums, or even after we graduate. Look out for short dresses or skirts and too low tops. Especially if your pal is an ELE major. We can’t be squatting down and climbing all over the place if we’re in a short, tight pencil skirt. 
  • Send them fun lesson ideas

• If a teacher’s Instagram page randomly shows up on your explore page, share it with your ELE major pal! We are constantly having to come up with lesson plans and lesson seeds so the more inspiration the better! Even if we already follow that teacher and liked that post, we’ll still appreciate the thought. 
  • Compliment their Pinterest boards

• I have about 10 separate boards for lesson ideas, classroom design, teacher wardrobe, and engagement ideas. My Pinterest is my pride and joy. The reality that I will ever turn out to be a Pinterest teacher is little to zero, but a girl can still dream. Hype our account up and we will instantly be friends.
  • Talk about politics

• Teachers all over the country have never had it easy, and Matt Bevin didn’t exactly make life a cup of tea for Kentucky educators. If you are educated on the topic, which you should be, then bring it up. Our rights as educators are a pretty big deal and we’re all passionate about our jobs/future jobs. If you show that you’re passionate about this topic too, there is no way an ELE major can turn you down. 
  • Take them school supply shopping

• Nothing excites us more than supplies we can use in our future classroom. I already have a box full of supplies and another full of books. But I NEED more! 
  • Never EVER say that our major is easy

• Enough said.
Hannah Kamman

Murray State '22

Hannah Kamman is an elementary education major at Murray State University. In her spare time, she enjoys watching movies, spending time outside and cuddling with her cat. She is a dance teacher and a tree hugger.