This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

Thanksgiving, the holiday that bridges the gap between Halloween and Christmas, is almost always overshadowed by Santa hats and Christmas trees. It’s not that people don’t like Thanksgiving, it’s just that Turkey Day is less involved. Families get together to eat copious amounts of turkey, potatoes, and pie, and then they watch football. If you’re not cooking, it can be a pretty relaxing holiday. While Thanksgiving is pretty standardized (eat, food coma, repeat), some people’s Turkey Day traditions don’t include the usual foods and activities. 

Thanksgiving Breakfast

For as long as I can remember, my Thanksgiving holiday has started with breakfast. My family and I get up early and head to my aunt’s house for a full breakfast spread consisting of donuts, fruit, pastries, and breakfast sandwiches. My aunt even had a chocolate fountain for a few years. I start my Turkey Day with sugar and my uncle’s specialty breakfast sandwiches: ham, egg, and cheese on bread that was dipped in an eggnog mixture. Breakfast is actually my favorite Thanksgiving meal, and there’s no turkey involved. 

Thankful for Funny Sayings

While some families go around the table and say what they’re thankful for, others share their favorite funny sayings from the year. One Thanksgiving my friend’s family wrote down funny one-liners about each other, put the papers in a basket, and took turns reading them aloud. This tradition yielded a lot more stories than going into a food coma watching football. 

Thanksgiving Sides: Egg rolls and Pancit

When most people think of Thanksgiving sides, they think of mashed potatoes, green beans, and stuffing, but for one of my friends, Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without egg rolls and pancit. Pancit is a Filipino noodle dish that consists of various vegetables and meat. Although there are many variations of pancit, his family makes it with carrots, cabbage, and chicken. Though it’s not a dish most people think of when they think of Thanksgiving foods, most families have odd sides that can’t be left out of their Thanksgiving dinners.       

Late Night Cards

Although food is a major highlight of Thanksgiving, how families bond afterwards differentiates one family’s holiday from another’s. One friend that I talked to about traditions mentioned playing cards late into the night before Black Friday shopping. While some people sleep and then get up early, others stay awake until the stores open. My friend’s family does the latter, playing cards to pass the time.  

Roast Beef 

Usually the centerpiece of Thanksgiving dinner is turkey, but that’s not always the case. Some people have roast beef as their main course. Why should turkeys get all of the hype? Chickens are another type of bird that we eat, and we don’t have a Chicken Day. Plus, a lot of people dip their turkey in potatoes or cranberry sauce because the meat tends to be dry. Come to think of it, I don’t know anyone whose favorite meat is turkey. Making roast beef the main meat of Thanksgiving sounds like a good call to me.   

Turkey or no, Thanksgiving is a time for bonding with family over food. Sure, it’s not as festive as Christmas, but the feasting and the company makes it worth the cooking.               

Sydney Wedbush

Murray State

Sydney Wedbush is a junior English/Creative Writing major at Murray State. When she's not reading or writing for class, she's reading and writing for fun. Want to find her in her natural habitat? Check the book store or library, and make Harry Potter references.