This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

I recently drove eight hours to Louisiana with my boyfriend to visit his grandparents. The best part of roadtrips are always the music, so I put together a playlist to get through the first hour:

“I’m Gonna Be (500 Miles)” by The Proclaimers

This is one of the ultimate roadtrip songs. It’s about traveling a lot of miles, and it’s a good song no matter where you’re driving.

“Life is Highway” by Rascal Flatts

This is another classic roadtrip song. It’s easy to sing along and has a nice beat to kick off a long ride.

“Sweet Home Alabama” by Lynyrd Skynyrd

Following the theme of singalongs and party songs, this popular one makes the list, whether or not you’re driving to Alabama or driving south.

“Party in the U.S.A.” by Miley Cyrus

The best roadtrip songs are the ones that make you sing and dance.

“Kids in America” by The Muffs  

“Beverly Hills” by Weezer

“Southbound” by Carrie Underwood

This is one of the songs from Carrie Underwood’s new album, Cry Pretty. It’s a good upbeat song for driving south. 

“Californication” by Red Hot Chili Peppers

While fast and fun songs are great for roadtrips, variety is always nice. It gets boring listening to the same genre with similar sound for hours. 

“New Orleans” by Parachute

Any song about a popular city is usually a good roadtrip song, and this one is no exception. 

“Waking up in Vegas” by Katy Perry

“Why Georgia” by John Mayer

I have a preference for slow songs, so I couldn’t have a playlist without at least one. It’s calming, and roadtrips can give you a lot of time to think while everyone else is napping.  

“Gone to California” by P!nk

This is another slow one with a jazz feel. It’s about running away, and although it’s not particularly happy, it is pretty unique compared to the other songs on the list. 

“Dying in LA” by Panic! At The Disco

I’m currently obsessed with this song. It’s slow and sad, but it’s really moving. I highly recommend it.

“Car Radio” by Twenty One Pilots

What better song to end a playlist than a meta-song about driving in silence?  

https://open.spotify.com/user/4mz48hkaaki8h5jg8f17dk0mb/playlist/0pfhsH3s0w6R3t6AQnadYS?si=7gjqgq03TwynbkhXaDR1Jw

Sydney Wedbush

Murray State

Sydney Wedbush is a junior English/Creative Writing major at Murray State. When she's not reading or writing for class, she's reading and writing for fun. Want to find her in her natural habitat? Check the book store or library, and make Harry Potter references.