Tips for Attending Classes During the Coronavirus Outbreak

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

As we all know, COVID-19 has caused many schools to close in the interest of public health to stop the spread. For students who are not used to remote learning, this can become a very stressful time.

For many larger colleges, they have already established online course management and have integrated online work into their in-person classes. Smaller colleges, however, might find a bit of a struggle as they try to figure out how to move their in-person classes to an online format. 

If you, like many others, have found yourself shifted from your in-person classes to online classes, then we have some tips for you on how to help make the best out of a bad situation.

Keep Calm And Check Your Email

It is important to note that everyone is playing it by ear at this point and trying to figure out what to do amid the COVID-19 outbreak. You have to take the time to check your email at least once a day, if not more than that. Your school is more than likely sending out emails to keep you in the loop about any changes that might be occurring.

Additionally, it is crucial to check your emails because this is how your professors are going to be communicating with you for now on. For many teachers now, it is going to be a “figure it out as you go” kind of attitude. Checking your email- and if your school happens to have a course management service- is the best way to ensure that you won’t be missing out on anything in your classes.

Plan Your Time Wisely

Sure it is nice now that you don’t have to wake up early to go to classes, or you don’t even have to sit through an entire class, but it is still important to try and take some time out of your day to sit down and work through your projects as consistently as possible. It is important to try and stay on a routine and live your day as you normally would. So, if it happened that you had class at 12:30, then try and do some work during that time. If it isn’t possible at that moment, then set aside some time in the afternoon to work on it.

Those that have not had much experience in the ways of remote-learning may feel the urge to do their work at the last minute. Helpful tip: DON’T! It is better to do your work early and often, as there could be times that you need additional feedback on an assignment, your internet could fail you, or there could be a question that you are having trouble with but it is too late to ask for help. By waiting until the last minute, you will probably not be getting a sympathetic ear from your professor.

Know What Tools You Need

Depending on the class, you may need to figure out what kind of tool can help you. Some schools, like Murray State, will have an app for their course management service, like Canvas. That means that it is plausible for you to do some work on your phone or Ipad. 

Others may require you to use a computer– for quizzes, tests, and Zoom sessions. Be careful, and make sure that you are paying attention to what browser is needed for some of these programs. Not every online course will work with every browser.

Additionally, some classes may need you to scan your work in, or even change it into a PDF. Fortunately, the modern iPhone has a good enough camera that you can use as a scanner. Certain apps, like Scanner or the Microsoft Office app, have an image-to-PDF capability.

Take Your Work Seriously

One of the worst things that a remote learning student can do is not give their work the attention that it deserves. A classroom will limit inevitable distractions. If you have got a PowerPoint to get through, do not scroll through it while the TV is on. It is also smart to put your phone away- all it takes is one distracting text to make that 5-minute break into 30 minutes.

Also, be clear with others about your boundaries. Tell your family members, friends, and roommates that your schoolwork is demanding a lot of time. It also helps to tell them when you have a test or some quizzes coming up so they know to be quiet during that time and to not disturb you.

Communicate

If you have never had to work remotely, then you will be surprised to find out how often you will need to reach out in order to get clarification for an assignment. There is also the chance that you may have group projects that still need to get done, but you still can’t meet in-person.

Take this time to hone in on your online communication skills. If you are not entirely sure about something, then do not be afraid to send a message to your professor. Additionally, do it as early as possible. If your professor sees that you are being proactive, then they are more likely to be lenient if something goes wrong in turning in an assignment or helping you get the solution to the problem. Also, if your class has a discussion board or forum, keep looking to see if other students have had the same problem that you are having. There is a chance that they may have figured out the solution to the problem and might be willing to help you. 

In the case of group projects, it is best to block out times for your meetings in order to discuss how your project should move forward. The first thing to do is to start a group chat. This is the best way to pass around ideas, delegate tasks to people, and even talk about your concerns regarding the project. If you are going to do a group chat, it is important to be respectful to the other people in the chat. Save your texts for appropriate hours. Don’t actively send texts to your group in the middle of the night. 

It also doesn’t hurt to look into video conferencing. Using things like Facetime and Zoom can make it easier to see how everyone is progressing and that they are pulling their own weight on the project. It also provides a good platform for any issues that might arise. 

Relax

Don’t stress out so much about the changes and challenges that have surfaced. The situation is rapidly changing every day, and everyone is learning as they go. It is best to recognize that it is going to be a bumpy road from here until the end of the semester. Your school is more than likely working out the kinks, and as long as you keep your eyes open and manage your time wisely, you will be able to adapt to whatever comes your way.

Gabrielle Gray

Murray State '22

Gabrielle Gray is currently a senior at Murray State University majoring in Elementary Education.Other than attending classes, you can find her drinking coffee at Shaffer Coffee Co., eating sushi from Market 22 in the Curris Center, or helping out around the university. Gabrielle is heavily involved at Murray State University by being one of the College of Education and Human Services senators for the 2020-2021 academic year for the Murray State University Student Government Association, volunteering for events being held around campus, as well as being a social butterfly. Check her out this Fall at the Springer housing desk, or when she occasionally works at her second home: Dan's Southern Prep.