Kellyn Simpkin-Fedora Sunnies Summer
Kellyn Simpkin-Fedora Sunnies Summer
Kellyn Simpkin / Her Campus
Wellness

Take Care of the Skin You’re in

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

Anyone can get skin cancer…

But some are more susceptible than others. 

There are three types of skin cancer: basal cell carcinomas, squamous cell carcinomas, and melanoma. Melanoma is the most dangerous out of the three. UV light is so dangerous for your skin and it’s time you start protecting yourself from it!

Let’s talk about tanning beds.

Here are some stats for you:

• If you use a tanning bed before the age of 35, you make it 75% more likely to develop skin cancer
  • There are a little under half a million skin diagnosis linked to indoor tanning. That being: 245,000 basal cell carcinomas, 168,000 squamous cell carcinomas, and 6,200 melanoma cases

(Statistics courtesy of skincancer.org)

Start wearing your sunscreen and wear it every day! It does so much more than keeping you from getting a sunburn.

• Wearing sunscreen daily, no matter the weather, dramatically decreases the chances of you developing skin cancer
  • When wearing sunscreen, you’re slowing down the development of your skin and keeps your skin tone even
  • Sunscreen protects your skin from the rays that are breaking through the ozone layer since it is starting to deplete
  • Sunscreen protects you from skin cancer which occurs over a lifetime

Here are more ways to help protect yourself:

• Take advantage of the shade! Being in the shade can protect you obviously, but take advantage of it, especially during the midday!
  • Even if it is a million degrees outside, if you’re feeling up to it, wear clothes that cover your arms and legs
  • Wear sunglasses and hats. Protecting your head and eyes from the sun rays is so important. After all, no one enjoys sunburns on their heads! 
  • Last, but not least: avoid tanning beds and wear your sunscreen!!!! Yes, it is common sense to apply your sunscreen, but even I forget.

Start taking action now to help prevent skin cancer. If you want to raise awareness for skin cancer, donate to skin cancer foundations or really, any cancer foundations. Help keep yourself out of the 419,000 people a year being diagnosed with skin cancer. Take care of yourself and appreciate the skin that you are in. 

Grace is a freshman at Murray State and is from Newburgh, Indiana. She is majoring in psychology and minoring in cognitive science. Grace loves to mess around with make-up and is obsessed with skincare. You can find Grace on twitter and Instagram at @graaciexx!