This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

The semester is flying by fast and spring break is right around the corner. The gym is full of people getting their “beach body” while others are picking up extra shifts at work to afford their trip. If you decide to go somewhere on spring break, there are a few things you need to keep in mind to keep yourself, and your bank account, safe.

One of the best ways to save money on spring break is to go with a group of people. You can all drive together and split gas money, which is so much cheaper than flying! Not to mention you can take turns driving, which will make the drive go by faster. One of the biggest expenses when on a trip is food. It is always tempting to find the best restaurants and go out to eat when on vacation. However, your bank account will suffer heavily if you do this. Find a few restaurants that you want to visit and cook for yourself the rest of the time.

Photo courtesy of Tumblr.com

It may seem inevitable that you’re going to drink while on spring break (but only legally!). You are going to be surrounded by parties everywhere you go, but do not make that the main focus of your trip. The amount of alcohol consumed by a college student on spring break is horrifying. Drinking so much can be extremely harmful to your body, especially if you are in the sun all day. The heat will maximize your alcohol level so you become more drunk, more dehydrated and more sunburnt. Nobody wants any of those things! Remember to limit and pace yourself and always hold onto your own drink. 

While you are on your trip, always use the buddy system. It may seem silly and like you are in elementary school, but it is always better to be safe rather than sorry. Remember that you are in a city you are unfamiliar with and you never know what can happen. It is very tempting to ditch your friends when you find a babe on the beach, but don’t do it. Bring a buddy with you everywhere you go. 

Photo courtesy of Locari.com

Spring break should be one of the best weeks of your semester! Be sure to take all of the necessary precautions to save money and stay safe. Protect your bank account and protect yourself.

Cierra is a Michigan native living in Murray, KY. Her major is Public Relations with a minor in Creative Writing. She is a founding member of Delta Zeta Rho Alpha.