This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

Skip the Tanning Bed and Slather the SPF 

I’m not going to lie, laying in the tanning bed for a good 15 minutes can really bring my mood from a negative five to a positive twenty. Of course, I have always been told that tanning beds aren’t the best for your skin health, but the short term benefits of nice glowy bronze skin (not to mention the endorphins of the warm UV lights) overpowered that worry inside my brain. 

Then, Isobel Stephens almost died from stage four melanoma (sorry if this is a spoiler for any Grey’s Anatomy watchers), and my mindset on my leisurely tanning time did a 180. Each time I daydreamed of tan skin, I started diving deeper into the negative effects of tanning beds, and this is what I found: 

1. Tanning can cause acne.

1. Tanning dries out your pores which can lead to excess oil production in your skin. This oil then clogs your pores, and leaves you with pimples. If you are going out into the sun, make sure your skin is hydrated with a quality sunscreen with the right SPF (sun protection factor) for your skin. This will keep your skin happy and keep you from getting burnt. 

2. Tanning can suppress your immune system.

1. A World Health Organization study points to the conclusion that overexposure to UV (ultraviolet) radiation may keep your immune system from working properly. Too much UV can reduce the effect of immunization and can even reduce the effects of some medications. 

3. Tanning can cause premature aging 

1. Dark spots, wrinkles, leathery skin – all side effects that bring you further and further from a beautiful porcelain look. Unless you have the cash to pay for chemical peels and dermabrasion, I suggest always protecting your skin from harmful UV rays. 

Moral of the story – Wear your sunscreen and avoid direct exposure to ultraviolet rays! Trust me, I know how hard it is to kick the habit of frequently visiting the tanning bed, but I promise your skin will thank you for it in the long run! 

Julia Cwiklowski

Murray State '21

Julia Cwiklowski is a senior studying Advertising and Marketing at Murray State University. When she isn't studying, you can find her working out, listening to podcasts, or curled up with a good book. Julia loves to cook, go on hikes and hang with her friends. After graduation, Julia hopes to work as a project manager at an advertising agency.