Ohio University College Green
Ohio University College Green
Hannah Moskowitz

Resources on Murray State’s Campus you Should Know About

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

Murray State University offers many free and paid resources for students on campus. Many students are unaware of the services and do not get the chance to take advantage of them. Here are some resources you should know about. 

Murray State Counseling Services

The licensed mental health professionals in the Counseling Center are available to provide a variety of counseling services for Murray State students, including individual therapy, couples therapy, and family therapy. Due to the high demand for their services, clients are seen on a biweekly basis unless they are currently in crisis and need to be seen weekly on a short-term basis. The Counseling Center is open 8:00-4:30 Monday through Friday whenever the university is open. They have a counselor on call 9:00-3:00 Monday through Friday during the academic year to meet with walk-in clients or help with crisis situations. All services are free of charge.   

The following outside resources are also available for immediate assistance when the Counseling Center is closed:

Murray State Psychological Center

The Murray State Psychological Center is staffed by graduate students in clinical psychology at Murray State. All therapists are closely supervised by licensed clinical psychologists in the Psychology Department here at Murray State University.They provide a variety of counseling services to Murray State students, faculty, and staff as well as community members from the surrounding area. Their services include individual therapy for children and adults, couples and family therapy, and evaluations for learning disabilities and ADHD. The Psychological Center, as a training unit within the larger Department of Psychology, also hosts periodic continuing education (CE) events for area mental health professionals.  

Hours:

• Monday 8:00 am – 4:00 pm
  • Tuesday 8:00 am – 6:00 pm
  • Wednesday 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
  • Thursday 8:00 am – 6:00 pm
  • Friday 8:00 am – 4:00 pm

401 Wells Hall

270.809.2504 www.murraystate.edu/PsychologicalCenter

Laura Liljequist PhD, Director Offer therapy and assessments (fees may apply)

Murray State Counseling and Assessment Center

The Murray State Counseling and Assessment Center provides affordable psychoeducational consultation, evaluation, and mental health counseling services to Murray State University students, faculty, and staff, as well as to members of the Murray community and surrounding counties. They also work to provide quality training for graduate students in school psychology and clinical mental health counseling.

Assessment appointments can be made by emailing msu.assessmentcenter@ murraystate.edu or by calling 270-809-6305. Counseling appointments can be made by emailing msu.counseling@murraystate.edu or by calling 270-809-3822.

3rd Floor Alexander Hall

www.murraystate.edu/CAC

Offer therapy and assessments (fees may apply)

Center for Autism Spectrum Disorders

The Murray State University Center for Autism Spectrum Disorder was created in 2019 to help meet the unique needs of children with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and their families. Led by Dr. Sean Simons, this facility was designed to alleviate two problems:

1. providing timely, comprehensive, and affordable diagnostic evaluations for children of all ages who demonstrate at-risk symptoms for ASD
  2. helping to support families during the time period between diagnosis and treatment

270.809.6305

msu.assessmentcenter@murraystate.edu

Offer assessments (fees may apply)

Murray State Women’s Center

The Women’s Center aims to provide education, advocacy, resources, and services. The Women’s Center supports and empowers women and men to unite as equal partners and become leaders on campus and beyond. The Center works every day to reduce violence against women and sex discrimination, to promote women’s physical and mental health and well-being, and to generate dialogue about women, gender, and sexual politics. Ultimately, the Women’s Center works to encourage each student to take personal responsibility for creating an environment that is safe, equitable, and healthy for men and women even beyond your time here at Murray State.

C103 Oakley Applied Science msu.womenscenter@murraystate.edu 270.809.3140 www.murraystate.edu/WomensCenter

Primary Care On-Campus Medical Center

Murray State University’s health services are provided by Primary Care Medical Center. Health Services  is located on the first floor of Wells Hall, facing the quad. A physician and staff will be on site during operating hours. Health services is available to faculty, staff and students.  This service is not free. An insurance card must be provided at the time of service. Health services is a great resource for students who may not have transportation in Murray and need to be seen by a physician.

Hours:

• Monday – Friday 8:00 am -11:00 am and 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm

First floor, Wells Hall

270.809.3809

Murray State Office of Student Disability Services

The Office of Student Disability Services provides accommodations and services to students with documented disabilities. These disabilities can include: cognitive disabilities (i.e learning disabilities, attention deficit disorders, and traumatic brain injury), psychological impairments, seizure disorders, autism, sensory disorders, mobility impairments, and other physical or health impairments. The office can help provide students with testing accomadations, accomated parking, support animals and other things to help students with disabilities suceed here at Murray State.

4th Floor Wells Hall

270.809.2018

www.murraystate.edu/StudentDisabilityServices

International Student Services

International Studen Services aims to provide support for international students to ensure success during their time at Murray State. The organization is composed of international students from many different countries, interested in learning about other cultures. ISO brings students from all countries together to share their cultural, educational, and ethnic backgrounds with one another while at the same time acting as a support network. ISO also contributes to the internationalization of our campus by collaborating with many different organizations and student government to bring global awareness activities to the students, faculty, staff, and the community as a vehicle for promoting international understanding. 

Phone or WhatsApp: +1 270 809 4223

msu.intl@murraystate.edu 

https://www.murraystate.edu/students/International/index.aspx

LGBT Office

The LGBT office can be found in Blackburn room 243. The office has a student lounge that is open Monday-Friday from 8:00 am – 4:30 pm. Students are welcome to hang out in the office, where they have wifi, drinks and snacks, a lending library, board and card games, and other resources. The office also works in coordination with other LGBT organizations on campus.

270.809.5040

www.murraystate.edu/lgbt

Murray State Writing Center

The Murray State Writing Center is a resource you can find in the library. They can assist you in public speaking, giving presentations and editing papers. 

Fall 2019 Hours:

• Monday – Thursday 11:00 am – 8:00 pm
  • Friday 11:00 am – 4:00 pm
  • Sunday 5:00 pm – 8:00 pm

Walk-ins and scheduled appointments welcomed.

270.809.2267

msu.racerwritingcenter@murraystate.edu

https://libguides.murraystate.edu/writingcenter

Career Services

Career services is a great on-campus resource for students. Career Services offers free resume help, head shots, mock interviews, help with your major and other services. This service can be useful for all students, but if you are a senior about to enter the job field career services can help you prepare. 

Office Hours

Fall & Spring: Monday – Friday | 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM

Summer: Monday – Friday | 7:30 AM – 4:00 PM

Walk-In Appointment Hours

Monday – Friday | 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM (Summer: 7:30 AM – 3:30 PM)

Walk-In Appointments Available: Resumes, Cover Letters, & Basic Questions

Scheduled Appointments

Please schedule appointments on murraystate.joinhandshake.com or call us at 270.809.3735.

Scheduled Appointments are required for Major/Minor Counseling, Career Assessments, & Mock Interviews. 

https://www.murraystate.edu/headermenu/Offices/CareerServices/index.aspx

Sarah Burden

Murray State '20

Sarah Burden is a senior at Murray State University. She is a PR major and minoring in Journalism. She is a member of Alpha Sigma Alpha and loves her ladybugs. In her free time she enjoys experimenting with makeup, drinking coffee, posting on social media and spending time with her bird. You can find her on Instagram and Twitter @sarahburden__