piccolo 2jpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
piccolo 2jpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Photo by Allison Hine

An Open Letter to My Shelter Dog

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

To my shelter dog,

Part of me wishes I knew what your life was like before your rescue day, so I could understand why you’re so fearful. Why meeting new people makes you raise your hair. Why loud sounds send you running. Why getting out of a car ends in shivers. Part of me also never wants to know what you’ve been through. From the scar on your neck where hair will never grow to the pictures of your protruding ribs – I never want to know who didn’t love you. I see the way you unconditionally love and trust me as we slowly push the boundaries and explore a scary world that was once not as loving and trusting. I never want to imagine your life before you knew love.

(Photo by Allison Hine)

I understand why you’ve been so overlooked. You’re slow to warm up and scared of nearly everything that’s new (and even some not-so-new things). You’re a “special needs” dog, they say. As if it would take a little extra work to love you. As if it was a detriment to watch you come out of your shell. As if I would be burdened by the way you put all your faith in me to keep you safe when your memories are telling you not to. Some people prefer shiny puppies with a carefully tracked pedigree, freshly weaned from their mothers, who sell for thousands of dollars. But, I don’t. I preferred you. After picking the perfect rescue organization to support and scrolling through countless dogs who were just as wonderful, your picture was the one that made me whole again. Little did I know, that adoption application would change my life.

I’ll never forget that first night we shared. You followed me into my bedroom and, although unsure at first, jumped up onto my bed and, quite frankly, right onto me. With your paws on my shoulders and nose under my chin, you slept right on top of me all night. It was our first act of mutual trust; you allowed yourself to be comfortable enough to sleep on me and I slept nose-to-nose with a brand new, 55-pound dog. I didn’t know you or your history as you didn’t know mine. Little did I know, you came into my life at exactly the right time, and you would bring so, so much needed joy.

(Photo by Allison Hine)

Nearly five years after your adoption day, I wouldn’t trade any of the moments we’ve shared. From you learning to open doors (hello early wake-up calls) to learning to catch food out of the air (in your mouth, not on your face), you’ve become endlessly curious within your own boundaries. None of these lessons could have been taught without you first learning how to trust us. No matter how far you have come, I am reminded of your past. I gently wake you up from the scary dreams in hopes you will come back to the place where you no longer have to be afraid. You will never have to go hungry again for no meal will ever be skipped and you know how to beg for snacks. I’m so happy to be a part of the constants in your life. Like how you know the sound of a banana being peeled means you’ll get one (or two, or three) pieces to share. Or a car ride means you’ll always return home (eventually, but hey, you love staying at the borders when we’re gone).

You have changed my life in so many ways; I can’t wait to pass on your legacy when the day comes that I adopt a shelter dog of my own.

Sincerely,

An adopter

Allison Hine

Murray State '20

Allison is a psychology major at Murray State University and can be easily spotted across campus by her purple hair. As a St. Louis native, she loves Ted Drewes and will certainly ask where you went to high school. She's been riding horses for over eight years and hopes to someday afford a horse of her own. But, her Pitbull, Piccolo, will do for now. When she's not talking about her dog, Allison can usually be found binging the latest shows on Hulu and Netflix (her favorites at the moment are Station 19 and Glee (again)).