This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

Spring break is already over and I cannot stop reminiscing on my wonderful trip. My boyfriend and I had no idea where to go, but we knew we had to get out of Murray for a few days. We debated on going to Chicago and Denver but we finally decided on New Orleans. NOLA is such a beautiful city with so much to do and amazing food and drinks. 

New Orleans is such a big city so you will never be bored! There are plenty of places to just walk around and sight see all day long. We spent a lot of our time in the French Quarter. The French Quarter is full of different restaurants and shopping, so bring some spending money! Jackson Square is in the middle of the French Quarter and it is a must see. Jackson Square is full of street performers, magicians and fortune tellers. I decided to get my fortune told and it was a huge spiritual awakening for me. We woke up super early one morning and went on a swamp tour. It was so cool to get so close to the alligators and they were all active because it was almost their mating season. We also went to the Audubon Zoo and the aquarium, which may not seem very crazy, but we were able to see some animals we had never seen before. The zoo seemed to last for hours but we got to see a komodo dragon and a jaguar and the aquarium had a tank full of different types of sharks, stingrays and jelly fish.

New Orleans does not have an open container law so you are able to drink on the street. This may seem dangerous but it made the trip a lot of fun. NOLA is famous for their Hurricane drink but I preferred the Voodoo Juice. Voodoo Juice is a combination of four types of Malibu and fruit juice and it was all I drank during the trip. The food in New Orleans was even better. You have to go to Cafe du Monde! They only serve beignets and coffee and there is always a line, but it goes by so quick. I don’t like coffee but the chicory coffee is amazing and the beignets just melt in your mouth. The Rum House was my probably favorite dinner spot. They serve Caribbean food with a Creole flair and it is to die for! I had the Jamaican beef patties which are “beef empanadas with queso black bean sauce and paw-paw sauce” and Tyler had the Damn Good Nachos with pulled pork and lime cream. I am an avid pizza eater so we had to stop at Reginelli’s Pizzeria. There is nothing better than eating a whole spinach and chicken pizza by yourself!

Not only does New Orleans have such great sights and food, but the people are wonderful as well. Everyone we met was so willing to help navigate us to the best places and always wanted to know where we were from. The mindsets of people are so different in NOLA. I never had to worry if someone was going to criticize me for what I was wearing or if I was going to be judged for not wearing any makeup. I truly felt beautiful in that city and I can’t wait to go back. 

I highly recommend New Orleans as a vacation spot for everyone. You will never have a dull moment in this city. There are amazing sights to be seen and wonderful food to be eaten. You may gain about ten pounds on your trip but it is well worth it! 

Photos courtesy of author

Cierra is a Michigan native living in Murray, KY. Her major is Public Relations with a minor in Creative Writing. She is a founding member of Delta Zeta Rho Alpha.