photo of corn field
photo of corn field
Aaron Burden/Unsplash

No Turkey Here: A Vegan Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

If you’re a vegetarian, holiday meals can get a little tricky. If you’re the oddball in your family (like me!) and everyone else eats the traditional meal, it can get even trickier. This year will be my third holiday season as a vegetarian, and I feel like I’ve learned some things along the way. Not only do I know all the best food bloggers to follow (hello, @minimalistbaker!) but I’ve also tried enough recipes to make an entire Thanksgiving dinner lineup that’ll make you forget all about the turkey sitting at the other end of the table! 

For breakfast…

Typically, at my house, breakfast on Thanksgiving is something super easy and fast. Here are a few of my go-to choices:

Photo via Minimalist Baker

Appetizers, anyone?

Thanksgiving lunch does not exist in my family, but appetizers sure do. Here are a few of my favorites:

The main event…

Without turkey, putting together the main meal for a vegan Thanksgiving can be kind of tricky. After 3 years of trying, I think I’ve got some things figured out: 

• These Thanksgiving wraps are not only delicious but they’re a fun twist on the classic. 
  • Lentils are a vegan’s best friend, and these lentil meatballs are a hit with everyone!
  • It’s not Thanksgiving without mashed potatoes! Try this recipe for vegan Shepherd’s pie, or just make the mashed patatoes!

Image via Minimalist Baker

The Final Round…

Dessert, to me, is the most important part of the Thanksgiving experience. I’m also a big fan of taking tiny pieces of multiple things… a dessert sampler? 

Image via Minimalist Baker

Jordyn Rowland

Murray State '19

Jordyn is a public relations major and film studies minor at Murray State University, where she has been for three years as an undergraduate student. She is an avid watcher of anything created by Shonda Rhimes, but her favorite is by far Grey's Anatomy. She enjoys traveling... a lot. Her favorite places so far are Los Angeles and Berlin. She really loves her dog and would adopt 50 more if she wasn't allergic. Jordyn's plans include running her own TV show and trying every drink on the menu (including the hidden one!) from Starbucks.