This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

I’m a Louisville native and have lived there my entire life. I’ve noticed that there are a lot of different areas in Louisville. I like to think of it like boroughs in New York. They each have their own personality and vibe to them. And while it may seem boring to me since I’ve lived there all my life, there are so many fun things to do in Louisville.

I’ll show you the tourist’s favorites, the restaurants of the locals, and guide you through my top five areas of Louisville.

St. Matthews

This is where I live and spend most of my time. This to me is more of the small town feel of Louisville. You can find small church farmers markets or yard sales on the weekends and local shops to peruse on a chill day.

There are two amazing malls within about a mile of each other. There are stores like Madewell, William Sonoma (my favorite!), and an adorable candy shop called Lolli & Pops. It’s covered in beautifully packaged candy on pastel painted shelves. Plus, if you’re lucky, they’ll be giving out some free samples!

Another childhood spot of mine is Plehn’s bakery. This is where every birthday cake of mine was purchased growing up and where my sister got her wedding cake. My favorite things to get are the cranberry and blueberry muffins, but my mom’s favorite are their oatmeal and thumbprint cookies. They have really adorable iced cookies, too, that they change depending on the season. These are a staple at any themed party at my house! Below is a picture of all of their Halloween goodies when I was back for fall break.

Photo courtesy of Sarah Frederickson

Bardstown Road

(Also called The Highlands) If you’re into a vintage, all-things-local style and you’d consider yourself a hipster, then Bardstown Road is for you. This is the place for artsy people to congregate and thrive. This stretch features many local stores: everything from skate shops to consignment shops as well as a wide variety of restaurants. This is also close to Bellarmine College, so you’ll probably see students studying in coffee shops or taking a break from their classes to shop around.

A favorite study spot of mine when I’m home is Steel City Pops. No matter what time of the year it is, this place is great! In the summer I cool off with a refreshing lavender lemonade popsicle, or in the winter I cozy up with a carrot cake popsicle.

Just down the street is my favorite local coffee shop, Quill’s Coffee. I go there to study, read my Bible, or catch up with high school friends. Their menu is very basic, but the classics are all you really need. And may I just say, I’ve had many a vanilla latte in my day, and this one is by far my favorite.

Downtown Louisville

This is your typical city atmosphere where I long to work and commute! I love the hustle and bustle and the classily dressed people walking to and from their jobs. This is the fanciest part of Louisville, at least in my opinion, with beautiful hotels and streets that are used as wedding photo locations.

I know there are other 21C hotels, but if you’re looking for something to spice up your Instagram feed, then this is the place for you. This hotel features an art gallery in the bottom of it, and it is where all of the high schoolers go on the weekends to take pictures. And though I did not participate, I can appreciate the pictures just the same! (Another fancy hotel is called the Galt House, check that out if you have time too. It’s absolutely beautiful and lavish).

There is also a walking bridge where you can get in some exercise, look at the amazing view, and walk across the river to Indiana. My friends and I woke up early one morning and watched the sunrise from the bridge, and it was breathtaking. I would highly recommend taking your morning jog here.

Photo courtesy of Sarah Frederickson

Nulu

Nulu is the hip slang for New Louisville, catchy, right? This is also a very trendy neighborhood, but more upscale. The restaurants here are slightly more expensive, but feature amazing local takes on classic favorites.

My two top picks are Royals and Feast. Royals has delicious, Nashville-style hot chicken and delectable sides such as pimento cheese grits or creamy coleslaw. Accurately named Feast, this is a barbeque restaurant with an edge. Their menu ranges from brisket tacos to crispy smoked tofu. They have ovo/lacto vegetarian as well as gluten-free options.

My favorite place in general in Nulu is called Lueberry. This is your typical acai bowl, smoothie, and juice place. I’m a dietetics major, so I love healthy smoothie bowls and fresh juice. They also have kombucha for my probiotic loving friends out there! What makes this place unique is their beautiful made-for-Instagram greenery wall and neon sign.

Photo courtesy of Bella of Louisville

I hope you will consider navigating the many areas of Louisville. I have loved growing up there because of the diversity that exists. No matter what type of mood I’m in, there’s something fun to do or somewhere new to eat!

Sarah is a senior Dietetics major. She loves to be involved and keep busy, so you will probably see her drinking an iced coffee. She also enjoys binging HGTv and Food Network.