This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

One of my favorite parts of social media is BuzzFeed.  I love everything from Ladylike to Tasty to BuzzFeed News and especially BuzzFeed Unsolved. I still remember the first video I watched, “The Chilling Mystery of the Black Dahlia,” which had me spooked.  From then on they had me hooked.

For those of you who don’t know, BuzzFeed Unsolved was created in 2016 and is hosted by Ryan Bergara and Shane Madej. There are two different versions of the show: True Crime and Supernatural On the show, they discuss unsolved crimes, haunted places, alleged demonic possessions and historical occurrences.  The show is presented as spooky or morbid but often has a comedic feel to it, which is what keeps me coming back for more.  In an effort to expose Buzzfeed Unsolved to those who have never seen it, or if you just want to be spooked/have a few laughs, here are my 5 favorite episodes:

5. Supernatural – Season 2 Episode 1 “The Ghosts and Demons of Bobby Mackey’s”

a. This is the only Supernatural episode on this list because I don’t particularly care for the Supernatural seasons. BUT this episode has the iconic clip of Shane saying “hey there demons, it’s me, ya boy.” And not to mention the bar featured in the episode, Bobby Mackey’s, is only a 5 hour drive from Murray to Wilder, KY. Watch this episode here

4. True Crime – Season 1 Episode 12 “The Strange Disappearance of D. B. Cooper”

a. I have ALWAYS loved the D. B. Cooper story so when I saw this was posted, I HAD to watch.  Despite this video being just over 20 minutes, I can’t stop listening to Ryan’s voice.  Also, the story is just incredible and makes you think hard. It gives me such an X-Files feel. Watch the episode here

3. True Crime – Season 3 Episode 5 “The Strange Killing of Ken Rex McElroy”

a. This is one of my all-time videos (obviously) because they’re trying to answer a really interesting question, “is a murder justified if it’s seemingly warranted?” This case was weird from start to finish, and Shane is particularly funny in this one. Watch the episode here

2. True Crime – Season 2 Episode 9 “The Disturbing Murders at Keddie Cabin”

a. For some reason, this video has always stuck with me in the back of my mind.  It’s one of those rare videos where Ryan takes Shane on the road, and it somehow gets funnier than it should.  I watched this video for the first time late at night and was genuinely scared.  This one is for sure worth the watch. Watch the episode here

1. True Crime – Season 3 Episode 1 “The Grisly Murders of Jack The Ripper”

a. THIS VIDEO.  I have always had a very weird and strange love for the Jack the Ripper killings.  Ryan really did good with this video, with fantastic supporting research and commentary.  Shane is as funny as usual.  I can’t get this video out of my head. Watch the episode here.

So there you go, my top 5 favorite episodes of BuzzFeed Unsolved.  I hope this inspires you to go out and watch all the videos you can, or at least the videos on this list. Check out BuzzFeed Unsolved on Facebook for their updates; they are expected to premiere their new season late 2018/early 2019, and I can hardly wait.  To watch all the BuzzFeed Unsolved you can, click here. Get spooky my friends.

Callie Smith is a senior public relations major with nonprofit leadership studies and theatre minors at Murray State University. She is a lover of Jesus, an avid YA reader and a listener of Broadway records. In her spare time, she loves to watch The Umbrella Academy, Arrested Development, Veep and The X-Files. She loves to bake, perform, read and spend all the time she can with her friends. Callie's plans include working in public relations for a nonprofit organization she loves. Callie is the President and Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus at Murray State.