This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

With my college career potentially coming to an end in May, I have been getting a little nostalgic lately. Despite Murray, KY feeling like a small town with nothing to do, I feel like there’s still so many things that I want to experience before I walk across the stage. I have compiled a list of some things that I want to do before I graduate as well as some things my suitemates and I had on our college bucket list that we’ve already completed.

1. Watch the sunrise with coffee on the football field

One of my sorority sisters recommended this to me, and I really want to experience it. Sunrises are such a beautiful sight, and the only way to make it better would be coffee, obviously. I just need to motivate myself to wake up that early. Maybe I will once my half-semester 8 a.m. ends!

2. Go to the top of Carr Health

Freshman year, my friends and I tried to go to the top of Carr Health because we heard that it was a Murray tradition, but we couldn’t figure out how to get up there. We tried to climb a tree and get on the roof, but that was a little too risky for freshman me who had her whole college career in front of her. The trick is to find a friend who has gone up before and make him/her show you how!

3. Have a brunch in your dorm room

Photo Courtesy of Andrew Spencer

I think I get it from my mom, but one of my favorite things to do is have people over, cook them a meal, and have good conversations. Last year my roommates and I moved into a four-person suite-style dorm, so I figured that this was the perfect opportunity for me to start my hosting dream. In total, we had four brunches last year where we served cinnamon rolls, pancakes, fruit, and LOTS of coffee. I know I will look back on those as some of my favorite memories of college. All you need is some easy food to make and good friends.

4. Camp out in the Quad

This one was for sure on my bucket list since before freshman year even started, but I wasn’t sure if I would ever be able to do it. Luckily, a few girls in my sorority had talked about camping in the quad for All Campus Sing, and I happily joined. The downside was that it was absolutely freezing! I have a Snapchat screenshot from that day and it said 33 degrees Fahrenheit. I was legitimately wearing three pairs of pants and five shirts and jackets. Only two out of four people lasted until the morning when one of our sorority sisters brought us coffee and donuts.

5. Go to Belews

Sophomore year I first discovered Belew’s when my bible study group went there and it has been a warm weather tradition ever since. It is a really quaint, small-town burger place where you can sit in your car, get it to go, or eat outside on picnic tables while playing cornhole or petting some of the stray dogs. If the atmosphere isn’t enough for you, I guarantee the food will be worth your time. They have shakes, chicken tenders, burgers, and much more!

6. Go to a class you’re not in

I was watching a YouTuber who said this was on her college bucket list, and I thought that was hilarious, so I decided to put that on my college bucket list, as well. Last semester I was finished with classes and my roommate was about to leave for hers. After confirming that it was a bigger lecture class, I decided to go! I was actually super nervous because I was worried that the professor was going to notice, but luckily he didn’t (or at least didn’t say anything). It was super funny, and I got to learn about finance calculations.

7. Play hide and seek in the dorm room

One weekend when there was nothing to do, my friends and I decided that it would be entertaining to play hide-and-seek in the dorm. Pro tip if you do play: hide in the elevator! I was in there for thirty minutes, and we just ended the game because the girl couldn’t find me. (People were a little weirded out, though, at a random person who never got off the elevator!)

8. Go to Cookout after midnight

Photo Courtesy of neONBRAND

Oh, Cookout…what a place. It was a magical day when I first discovered the beauty of a Cookout tray. It still amazes me that a quesadilla and a corn dog are sides. But anyway, I would highly recommend going to Cookout after midnight. I don’t really know why, but it’s the place to go after a sorority/ fraternity formal or even just after a late night of studying.

9. Paducah Trip

Everyone needs to make a Paducah trip sometime in their Murray state career. My roommates and I frequent it often for good Mexican food, a mall, or even just for Chik-fil-A alone. But whatever the reason, it’s a good way to get out of Murray for a few hours and see some new scenery.

10. Rub the scroll before a test

Every campus has their superstitions and one that Murray has is rubbing the scroll of Rainey T. Wells in front of Pogue library. If you do this sacred Murray State tradition, you’re sure to get an A on your test. Just don’t step on the plaque in front of the statue, or you won’t graduate!

I hope this list gave you some helpful hints of things to do around Murray. Try making a college bucket list of your own with your roommate, sorority sister, or friend. It gives you something to do when you’re bored because you can just go to your list and cross something off!  

Sarah is a senior Dietetics major. She loves to be involved and keep busy, so you will probably see her drinking an iced coffee. She also enjoys binging HGTv and Food Network.