I Don’t Want to Get a Job in the Field of My Major: Now What?!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

Graduation is upon us and that can ignite some panic, and if you clicked on this I’m assuming you’re questioning your choice of major.

I just want to say, first of all, yes, you can get a job outside your college major. Now, whether you’re a recent college graduate, or you’re in entirely too deep to switch it now, whatever the case, somewhere along the line you realized the field you might not be for you.

Before you do anything else or make any impulsive decisions, just breathe because this is not a total loss! You are on track to receiving an education, which automatically makes you valuable in the marketplace.

Just because you’re not sure if this major is your “calling,” doesn’t mean you aren’t on the right track. Many graduates don’t build their career inside the perimeters of their major anyway! So, relax.

There are a couple things you can do once you graduate that can enable you to try your hand at different things or direct you toward an area you are interested in. Do some research and check what areas are closely related to your major because, at some point, this direction is what you wanted for your life, so it’s possible that what you’re passion isn’t far off from your original decision to pursue the major you ultimately committed to.

Now, if you’re feeling discouraged, you may be tempted to drop out and settle for a different job you’d be miserable doing or if you’ve graduated, to return to school for an entirely different reason. However, don’t be afraid to use what you know.

Search entry-level internship possibilities. Internships are a great way to gain real-world experience and usually don’t require past experience, and whether you are still in college or have graduated, they are great alternatives.

Create a side hustle. What is it that you are passionate about? Formulate a list of things you love or love to do, and brainstorm ways to make money doing them. Get creative, and let this compensate for a job that you’re not necessarily in love with. The truth is that your first job will typically not be your dream job; so don’t let that discourage you either.

Become your strongest advocate. It’s important to know yourself better than anyone else. Know your weaknesses as well as your strengths and emphasize them, especially if you’re pursuing a job. Employers want to know how your past experiences will benefit your potential job.

Create an online portfolio. If you do know what you would like to do as a career, but your studies don’t necessarily reflect that, showcase your talents through an online portfolio and direct potential employers to it through your resume and email. Don’t be afraid to share it on social media or linked in. If people see that you’re good at what you do, it will draw an attraction.

Make an effort to grow your network. Don’t discredit word of mouth or the accreditation of professionals. Sometimes endorsement from a trusted professional can trump written capabilities. So, be choosy with your references. Be intentional in build relationships with people in your new desired field and be careful not to burn bridges because you may need to cross it one day.

If you are considering a certain career focus, find a mentor that can guide you. Chances are the skills your now interested in were not taught in your classroom, so find someone who can teach you their ways and help you gain experience.

Don’t underestimate the voice of your cover letter, and don’t be afraid to brief your potential employer or explain that you understand your major is unrelated to the position, but you can prove your worth in the field through skills or experiences.

If you can afford it, go to graduate school. I would use this as a last resort or a safety net because it is expensive and it’s possible to obtain a job outside your major without it, but this is a sure way to grab the attention of a potential employer and prove your newfound dedication to the field.

But for now, enjoy your day and don’t take accomplishment lightly. You deserve it. You earned it. 

Michaelyn is a senior journalism student with a minor in English at Murray State University and along with being a writer for Her Campus, she is a content creator for The Odyssey! She loves Jesus, musicals, makeup, writing and laughing. Michaelyn is also bilingual--as she is fluent in memes and GIFs. On campus, she works as a student public relations writer, is a member of the Murray State Social Media Team and is involved in her sorority. When Michaelyn isn't busy at school, work or being the "GIF Queen," she can be found cuddled up with her puppy and a cup of coffee.