This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

When your college is located in a small town, what’s there to even do on the weekends? Go to a big city, of course! My roommates and I started a tradition our freshman year that once a semester, we would go to Nashville for a day trip just for fun! I’d say I’m a pro by now at how to have the best Nashville day trip ever. I’ve listed everything from coffee shops to tourist attractions, so keep reading to find out more!

Coffee Shops

First stop on this list has to be an artsy coffee shop. Though there are a few in my small town, nothing compares to a nice city coffee shop. You can sit and drink your coffee and take in the city slickers or take your latte to go and strut around the town like a local. The first year, we went to a shop called Three Brothers Coffee. It has a really cool painted entryway that looks amazing in pictures. My recommendation: the iced hazelnut latte. It has these sweet, crunchy hazelnut flakes on top that I have yet to find anywhere else. Another year we went to High Brow which was also excellent. My recommendation: the cortado. If you don’t know what a cortado is, let me introduce you to the classic espresso drink. It features a double shot of espresso with 2 oz of steamed milk. A half espresso, half milk drink, if you will. After you check out High Brow, take a look around some of the local stores in the same complex. They had a really cute home store with lots of decor, kitchenware, and a few Nashville souvenirs.

Photo courtesy of Sarah Frederickson

Draper James

While on the subject of shopping, I would also recommend stopping by Draper James. Now if you’re a college student like me, the only thing you can afford in that store is maybe a t-shirt, but it is still fun to look at all of the classic, preppy designs by Reese Witherspoon, herself. I mean we all knew Elle Woods had great style, and trust me, Reese does too! It is a lot of navy, southern, dressy pieces that are perfect for a wedding or formal dinner. Plus, here’s the best part: they give you free sweet tea when you walk in the door. I know, it’s like a dream!

Painted walls

Once you leave Draper James, sweet tea in hand, still fawning over that beautiful floral dress you just saw, just turn the corner to see two famous Nashville walls. There’s the “I Believe in Nashville” wall and the famous Draper James blue and white striped wall. There may be a line, but the people there were all very kind and super willing to take our pictures. Get your girl gang together and take some pics for the IG. There are literally tons of painted walls all over Nashville, so just Google some in the area that you want to be in. There is also a super colorful wall located at 11th Avenue South and Laurel Street. This perfectly captures the eclectic spirit of Nashville. Every inch of this wall is splashed with bright colors and mind-boggling patterns. It made the perfect backdrop for our jumping pictures and crazy poses.

Photo courtesy of Sarah Frederickson

Hattie B’s Hot Chicken

My sister and I had been to this place before, so we knew that we had to introduce our roommates to the spicy, juicy magnificence that is Hattie B’s. I think my mom first heard about it in Southern Living or one of her fancy home magazines. There are three locations in Nashville, but still be prepared to wait in line. We waited for about an hour, but let me tell you, it was well worth it. My recommendation: chicken tenders with macaroni and cheese and collard greens. Plus it comes with that classic slice of white bread and pickles that top off any hot chicken basket in the south.

The Parthenon

Photo courtesy of Sarah Frederickson

If you’re feeling like more of a relaxing day in Nashville, the Parthenon is your place. There is a massive lawn in front where you can picnic, play sports, take a walk, or just enjoy the view. It costs money to go inside, but the outside was pretty enough for us. Take some pictures on the stairs and walk around to see the beautiful fountains, bridges, and flowers.

The John  Seigenthaler Pedestrian Bridge

Photo courtesy of Sarah Frederickson

There is a walking bridge with beautiful views of the city everywhere you look. Once you walk across, there’s a lush, grassy hill where you can sit, view the landscape, and take a break from all of that exercise you just did! You’ll probably see some wedding pictures happening, and don’t be afraid to wander around a little. There was a small park on the other side and a restaurant perfect for exploring.

Live Music & Restaurants

The place that we went to was called The Row, but fair warning, you can only actually see the live music if you are over 21 because the band performs in the bar area. However, you can still hear the music just fine from the dining room. But the food was what really set this place over the top. My recommendation: start the night off with an appetizer of fried pickles. For your main course, I highly recommend the black bean burger. Then to end your savory meal with something sweet, try the banana pudding. Plus, after you’ve indulged in all of the delicious, fried goodness, go out back and finish up your night with some corn hole.

I hope you will consider taking a Nashville trip of your own. These have been some of my most fond memories of college so far. Don’t be afraid to explore and just see where your walk or drive takes you. We found several amazing places and things to do just by coincidence and most of the time, those end up being the most fun. So when your small town weekends seem dreary and boring, head on over to the city of Nashville for something exciting around every street corner.

Sarah is a senior Dietetics major. She loves to be involved and keep busy, so you will probably see her drinking an iced coffee. She also enjoys binging HGTv and Food Network.